Expertise centers Expertise centers
What is a center of clinical expertise?In healthcare, a center of clinical expertise is a center where specialized knowledge and expertise is brought together and shared with parties outside the organization. The most important tasks of a center of expertise are:
- providing high-quality patient care for even the most complex patient groups
- gathering, connecting and increasing existing knowledge and expertise, including scientific research
- Advancing/sharing knowledge with others in the region and beyond
- coordinating care and treatment within Radboudumc, but also outside and far beyond the region
- taking the lead with regards to the four above-mentioned tasks at national level
Why centers of clinical expertise?Centers of expertise for rare diseases are acknowledged by the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport. A broad range of criteria are used in the assessment of 288 potential centers of expertise. There are 17 European criteria with regards to 7 different themes. Guidelines, care paths, standards and indicators are all of influence. There is a clear focus on scientific research. The continuity of care is also an important factor.
Being granted the status of center of expertise for rare diseases is a major step towards better integrated care for patients with rare diseases that affects 6 to 8% of the population.