prof. dr. Jelle Barentsz
About Jelle BarentszDr. Barentsz received his MD in 1980, and PhD in 1990. He has 223 peer reviewed publications, h-factor: 61 (Google Scholar).
His 3 most important contributions are:
- Rebirth of the macrophages specific nano-MR contrast agent (Combidex ®),
- Development, validation and implementation of multi-parametric MRI, resulting in the wide-spread use of prostate MRI, and:
- Development plus implementation of the PI-RADS scoring system for structured interpretation of prostate MRI's.
ESUR. Currently he is Professor of Radiology and Chair of the Prostate MR-Reference Center. This center provides education and quality control and is visited yearly by > 3000 patients.
Dr. Barentsz is an empathetic physician, who always puts the patient in the center. To achieve this goal he does not allow any concessions. His devotion, passion and quality result in visits of many patients from all over the world. Also, international physicians visit his center, to learn his techniques and implement them in their own practice.
He is an excellent presenter, though sometimes provocative: see TEDx 2012 yes we scan.
His dreams: MRI standard practice in men with elevated PSA, and global approval
Personal prizes & awards
- Royal Decoration: " Knight in the Order of the Dutch Lion"
- Wertheim Salomonson Medal of the Dutch Radiological Society (NVvR)
- Lifetime Achievement Award of the SAR
- Queen Wilhelmina Research Award of the Dutch Cancer Society
- SCBTMR Lauterbur Award
- SCBT & MR Lauterbur Award: 1999, 2010 (senior author)
- SCBT & MR In-training Award: 2003 (senior author)
- SCBT & MR cum Laude Award: 2004, 2008
- 6 First Price Awards SUR: 1994, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2007
- Excellent Teacher Award ISMRM 2012
- Chair of the Prostate MR-Reference Center
- Founding Member and Past-President of the ICIS and Past-President of the ESUR