General information about Physiology teaching activities
The main teaching activities of the department of physiology are in the Schools of Medicine, Biomedical Sciences and Dentistry. The department participates in modules at both the Bachelor and Master levels.read more
General information about Physiology teaching activitiesThe main teaching activities of the department of physiology are in the Schools of Medicine, Biomedical Sciences and Dentistry. The department participates in modules at both the Bachelor and Master levels.
The department has developed and teaches physiology modules with a central theme in first and second year of the biomedical and health sciences as well as free of choice modules. In the third year of the curricula, new minor modules are offered to all students related to both biomedical and health sciences. New master modules have been developed for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences and Molecular Mechanisms of Disease. The department is also involved in the development and implementation of the curriculum Technical Medicine at the Technical University of Twente and offers a Radboud University Summer School course.
International Masterclass in Cardiovascular Sciences
The Department of Physiology facilitates the acceleration of the academic career of young, talented students in Biomedical Sciences by a unique 1-year program.read more
International Masterclass in Cardiovascular SciencesThe first step in most successful academic careers start at student level and often relate to the exposure to highly motivated, enthusiastic and world-leading scientists, who provide the student the opportunity to perform a research internship in a stimulating scientific environment. The International Masterclass in Cardiovascular Science (IMCS) of the Department of Physiology of the Radboud University Medical Center facilitates the acceleration of the academic career of young, talented students in Biomedical Sciences by a unique 1-year program. Several students from Nijmegen have already taken this opportunity, which has typically resulted in the publication of scientific papers, presentations at (inter)national conferences, and even job offers for a PhD-position.
What is the International Masterclass in Cardiovascular Science?
The IMCS is based on a long-standing and fruitful collaboration between researchers of the Department of Physiology and the Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences (Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU)). Whilst there is a strong overlap in research and teaching between both universities, the differences in state-of-the-art technology, access to patient groups, and facilities make a unique synergistic collaboration. This program will therefore offer the student:
- A high-quality, synergistic collaborative project in the field of cardiovascular exercise science in Nijmegen and Liverpool.
- Attending the Ultrasound Summer school, involving lectures and practical hands-on work supervised by world-leading scientists from LJMU, Radboudumc and other universities.
- Supervision by world-leading professors in laboratories with unique and state-of-the-art facilities in a motivating environment.
- Participate in the MSc-course 'Clinical Exercise Physiology' at LJMU.
An overview of the IMCS programThe program consists of seven stages.
- The Department of Physiology organizes the 4-week master courses in September (‘Applied Exercise Physiology’ (BMS54)) and October (‘From Vascular Function to Vascular Failure’ (BMS55)) which are usually attended by ±30 MSc-students of Biomedical Sciences. During this course, we will heavily discuss the state-of-the-art knowledge in cardiovascular exercise physiology. Also, an LJMU professor will visit Nijmegen to give a lecture on his research, but also introduces the International Masterclass in Cardiovascular Science. Students receive assignments that eventually result in a scientific debate on cardiovascular topics.
- Students are invited to apply for the International Masterclass in Cardiovascular Science by writing a motivation letter why they want to join the Masterclass. Subsequently, the student coordinator of the Department of Physiology will select eligible students for the Masterclass.
- In February, students will start a 5-month internship at the Department of Physiology.
- Early July, students will attend of the Ultrasound Summer school. This Summer school is annually attended by 25-30 (inter)national students and researchers and deals with the physiological regulation of cardiac and vascular function, physics of ultrasound and practical performance of (the basics of) echocardiography and vascular ultrasound. Lectures are given by world-leading scientists. This 5-day Summer school provides a unique networking opportunity.
- After the Summer school, students will start their LJMU-based internship. The content of this internship is closely related to the internship performed in Nijmegen (see above). Also, students can follow the MSc-course 'Clinical Exercise Physiology' at the LJMU during their internship.
- This Masterclass provides the opportunity to significantly increase the chances for the participants to successfully apply for a PhD-track. To achieve this goal, monthly meetings are planned with the students to discuss progress, job/grant opportunities, and CV building.
- Finally, the project will result in writing a manuscript that will be submitted to an international peer-reviewed journal. The student will play an important role in this process. Moreover, opportunities will be examined for the student to attend an international meeting to present his/her results.
Contributing scientistsFrom the Department of Physiology, prof. Maria Hopman PhD, Dick Thijssen PhD and Thijs Eijsvogels PhD are involved in the IMCS program. They contribute to teaching commitments, initiation of projects and internships and supervision of all candidates. Prof. Keith George PhD, prof. Helen Jones PhD and prof. Dick Thijssen PhD are the leading scientists from LJMU that contribute to this one-of-a-kind program.
Additional information and applications?If you would like to meet one of the involved scientists for more information, you can contact us by sending an e-mail to the student coordinator or to email@example.com
Main bachelor physiology modules in the biomedical and health sciences
The current physiology modules for all students of the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.
in the biomedical and health sciences
1CSI ~ Context, Science Innovation Q1
General introduction in doing research, statistics and the empirical cycle.
1LC ~ Learning Community Mechanismen Q1
An introduction in physiology.
Learning Community Mechanismen
1MBE ~ Beweging Q1
Anatomy of the musculoskeletal system and introduction about the heart and lungs.
2CSI ~ Context, Science Innovation Q2
Information about epidemiology, study designs and literature search.
3MCA ~ Circulatie en respiratie Q3
Information about the cardiovascular and respiratory systems.
Circulatie en respiratie
3MSV ~ Spijsvertering Q3
Information about the gastrointestinal system.
3MWZ ~ Water- en zouthuishouding Q3
Information about urinary system.
Water- en zouthuishouding
3INT ~ Integratieopdracht homeostase Q3
Forming scientific questions on the homeostatic mechanisms theme and critical appraisal of corresponding literature.
8RRD ~ Renal disorders Q8
Information about several renal disorders, tubulopathies and treatment effects in rare kidney diseases.
Minor modules with a physiology theme
The department of physiology has developed or participates in several minor modules for all students of the biomedical and health sciences.
Master modules related to physiology
There are master modules available for students of the Biomedical Science and MMD master as well as the School of Medicine master.
Free of Choice modules with a focus on physiological subjects
Several free of choice modules with a physiology theme have been developed and are available for students from all universities.
Physiology modules at Dentristy, the Technical University of Twente and FNWI
The department of physiology is involved in developing and teaching physiology modules. Information wil follow.