Animal research facility Expertise and services
The Animal Research Facility (in Dutch: Centraal Dierenlaboratorium, CDL) offers advice and support from planning up to and including the conduct of animal research on behalf of biomedical research and education.
What do we offer?
- Well trained and competent personnel can assist you with various technical activities varying from injections of compounds by all recognized routes and collection of tissue for further analysis up to complex surgical procedures.
- We can offer the necessary basic infrastructure for surgical research. Fully equipped operating theatres, radiology room and area for sterilization of instruments are available for academic research and industry.
- We can offer the facilities for surgical product testing and evaluation and for demonstrations and instructional courses for instance for training of hospital staff.
- Preclinical Imaging Centre (PRIME)
- Translational Neuroscience Unit
Services & expertise
Teams and contact information
Animal Research Facility has four teams.
Animal Welfare Body
The Animal Welfare Body (AWB) (Instantie voor Dierenwelzijn IvD) helps to ensure a responsible animal experimentation policy within Radboud University and Radboudumc. The AWB acts on behalf of the Radboud University to oversee legal supervision of the performance of animal experiments and the welfare of laboratory animals, in accordance with the Animal Experimentation Act.
Organizationally, the AWB falls under the Animal Research Facility (CDL). The AWB is composed of animal welfare officers, bio-technicians, and one or more scientists. If necessary, the group is supplemented by a veterinarian, statistician, or other specialists.
Additional information can be found below the contact information.
Pieter Verbost: +31 (0)24 309 23 69
Miriam Kool: +31 (0)24 309 23 64
Jeannette Lorteije. +31 (0)24 309 74 95
Any institution that performs experiments on animals, or breeds or supplies animals for experiments, is required by the provisions of the 'Wet op de dierproeven' to set up such a body. We conduct our TASKS primarily for Radboud University and Radboudumc, and also for a few other educational and research institutions.
Optimal welfare for animals
Our goal is to ensure that the optimal welfare of laboratory animals is an integral part of the structure of the Radboud University and Radboudumc. Of key importance is the optimal use of alternatives and proper and responsible research within the legal frameworks and with extra attention paid to replacement, reduction and refinement (3Rs).
Collaboration at all levels
In order to achieve these goals, we work closely together with researchers, research technicians, animal caretakers, managers and directors of Radboud University and Radboudumc. Together we maintain a ‘culture of care’.
The Animal Welfare Body has a large number of tasks that we conduct on behalf of Radboud University and Radboudumc. These tasks are largely prescribed by law in accordance with the provisions of the Experiments on Animals Act. These tasks deal with issues such as animal welfare, alternatives to animal experiments, procedures, registration, supervision and communication with the Central Authority for Scientific Procedures on Animals (CCD). The most important of these tasks include:
Animal welfare and alternatives
- offering advice on animal welfare during acquisition, accommodation, care and utilisation of animals
- offering advice on replacement, reduction and refinement (3Rs)
- providing information about technical and scientific developments
- establishing and testing procedures for monitoring and reporting on animal welfare
- providing information and advice on the rehousing scheme and the appropriate socialisation of the animals
- discussing a project proposal with the applicant prior to applying for a project licence from the Central Authority for Scientific Procedures on Animals (CCD)
- consulting with the researcher prior to the conduct of an animal experiment
- working with the researcher to determine whether changes in the project must be submitted to the CCD
Registration and supervision
- collecting registration data on animals and experiments
- monitoring the welfare of laboratory animals
- supervising the registration and evaluation of authorizations, expertise and skills of those working with laboratory animals
Central Authority for Scientific Procedures on Animals (CCD)
- providing information for retrospective evaluation
- reporting cases when a project is conducted differently than specified in the licence
- reviewing the non-technical summary
- all other correspondence with the CCD
- developing internal policy
- communicating about animal experiments (policy)
- contributing to training and education
- acting as the first point of contact in the event of problems or potential problems pertaining to animal welfare
- encourage cooperation and collaboration between researchers and animal caretakers
- acting as the first point of contact for inspectors from the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority (NVWA)
Animal Experiment Committee DECRadboud University’s Animal Experiment Committee (DierExperimentenCommissie, RUDEC) is an independent committee recognized by the CCD (Central Authority for Scientific Procedures on Animals). DEC determines whether the scientific and/or social significance of an animal experiment outweighs the discomfort that the affected animals will encounter. She advices the CCD, who issues the licenses necessary for performing animal experiments. This (ethical) assessment is carried out according to the legal regulations as stipulated in the Wet op de dierproeven (WOD) and in the Dierproevenbesluit.
DEC consists of experts in animal experiments, alternatives for animal experiments, laboratory animals and their protection, and ethics.
Phone: +31 (0)24 361 90 75
iVentionLESiVentionLES is the laboratory execution system (LES) for animal experimentation used at Radboudumc and Radboud University. The system supports the entire cycle of a research project: from the research question involving animal experiments to the implementation of these experiments and the registration of the research results. In addition, financial data, invoicing information and management data is generated as output.
iVentionLES is a modular system. Each module is released separately.
AuthorizationEvery researcher registered at the Animal Welfare Body of the Radboudumc can get access to iVentionLES. Please send the request for an account to the helpdesk of the Radboud Animal Research Facility (in Dutch: Centrale Dierenlab).
Log in> go to log in IVentionLES
T: +31 (0)24 361 35 00
Dorien van de Pol: +31 (0)24 361 93 80
Christien Frederiks: +31 (0)24 36 13500
Radboudumc Technology Center Translational neuroscience
The Translational Neuroscience Unit enables researchers to explore the neural basis of cognition, emotion and behavior, through integrated systems neuroscience facilities with a translational twist.read more
SYstematic Review Center for Laboratory animal Experimentation SYRCLE
SYRCLE envisions a world in which any animal-based research conducted is justified, rigorous and of high translational value. Our mission is to develop, apply and disseminate the methodology of systematic reviews of animal studies to advance responsible animal-based research.read more