About the position
- 36 hours per week
- For the duration of the appointment
- Salary scale 16
- Fulltime: min € 6732 - max € 8897 gross per month
- Deadline: 2 November 2021
- Date first interview: Monday 22 November
#weareradboudumc, what about you?
With an emphasis on neuroimaging, the ambition of a chair will be to leverage fundamental knowledge of cognitive and affective healthy brain function to refocus attention toward mechanisms and strategies for preventive mental health care.
The intended chair actively participates in the Radboudumc research theme Stress-related disorders. The theme has formulated the following strategy for the coming years:
- Decreasing the vast burden of stress-related disorders is identified as one of the greatest health care challenges of our time. The theme has the ambition to grow into the most important center of expertise for research on stress and stress-related psychopathology in the Netherlands within the coming years.
- The theme aims to further integrate research efforts regarding stress-related mental disorders both at a conceptual and methodological level, and from behavioral neurosciences to human cognitive neuroimaging and to clinical neuroscience. The theme has formulated a strategy to extend and integrate its coverage of the full spectrum from molecule to man to population.
- The theme identifies several societal developments that prompt a shift of focus from treatment to prevention, and as a consequence sees the need to prioritize research to identify factors that determine stress resilience, and develop personalized interventions, for instance using innovative interventions aimed at strengthening stress resilience.
Patient care: The chair would not be directly involved with patient care, however an accumulation of expertise on stress and mental health at Radboudumc is highly relevant for all patients of Radboudumc as well as for the Radboudumc’s workforce itself. This expertise would provide preventive interventions for increasing resilience and mental well-being. Moreover, academic care is orienting more towards prevention and here the chair can take an important role in knowledge dissemination with clinical stakeholders.
Teaching: Theme stress-related disorders within Radboudumc's curricula is not yet proportional to its size. The establishment of this chair will help increase the contributions of the theme within the BSc and MSc course programs of Radboudumc, establish a viable track for medical neuroscience that is attractive beyond Nijmegen, and contribute to the training of a next generation of young scientists and health care professionals in this field. This contribution to teaching involves both general education in neuroscience and psychiatry in, e.g., the bachelor phase of (bio)medical curricula, as well as specialized masters' courses in the specific area of expertise of the chair.
The chair is embedded within the department for Cognitive Neuroscience of Radboudumc and will closely collaborate with the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour . The past decades have shown a rapid increase in fundamental knowledge of brain function, and the interfaculty Donders...read more
The chair is embedded within the department for Cognitive Neuroscience of Radboudumc and will closely collaborate with the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour. The past decades have shown a rapid increase in fundamental knowledge of brain function, and the interfaculty Donders Institute has played a leading role in this development in a national and international sense. The intended chair in Cognitive Affective Neuroscience aims to bridge basic and cognitive neurosciences with clinical neurosciences and psychiatry with a primary focus on human neuroimaging. It has the ambition to leverage fundamental knowledge of healthy brain function to refocus attention toward mechanisms and strategies for preventive mental health care, to establish Radboudumc as a leading national center for stress-related mental health research, and ultimately contribute to a major reduction of the vast burden of stress-related disorders. This research infrastructure is exceptionally well equipped to support the research of this chair, with state-of-the-art human neuroimaging as well as computational infrastructures.
Stress-related psychopathology is acknowledged as one of the focus areas for research at Radboudumc, which was formalized with the establishment of a Research Theme "Stress-related disorders" in 2014. This theme aims to develop an integrated, interdisciplinary and translational research program that conceptualizes stress as a critical transdiagnostic factor across a wide range of mental disorders. Researchers affiliated with the theme are experts in fields ranging from behavioral neuroscience to human cognitive and affective neurosciences, and to clinical neuroscience. By fostering formal and informal communication between these researchers and promoting joint research projects, the theme aims to integrate these research lines both conceptually and methodologically. The goal of this effort is to promote translation of insights from basic neuroscience into mental health care – from the laboratory to real world experiences. This ambition includes development of novel treatments, but in recent years is also reorienting attention toward development of new evidence-based means for primary and secondary prevention of stress-related disorders.
Radboud university medical center is a university medical center for patient care, scientific research, and education in Nijmegen. Radboud university medical center strives to be at the forefront of shaping the healthcare of the future. We do this in a person-centered and innovative way, and in close collaboration with our network. We want to have a significant impact on healthcare. We want to improve with each passing day, continuously working towards better healthcare, research, and education. And gaining a better understanding of how diseases arise and how we can prevent, treat, and cure them, day in and day out. This way, every patient always receives the best healthcare, now and in the future. Because that is why we do what we do.
Read more about our strategy and what working at Radboud university medical center means. Our colleagues would be happy to tell you about it. #weareradboudumc
The professor is expected to play a lead role in research within Radboudumc and the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, driving new interdisciplinary collaborations and integrating different organizational units related to science within these institutes by participating in...read more
The professor is expected to play a lead role in research within Radboudumc and the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, driving new interdisciplinary collaborations and integrating different organizational units related to science within these institutes by participating in relevant committees at departmental, institutional and university levels.
- The chair is expected to act as a group leader who provides direction, mentoring, and support to a research group, including PhD candidates and postdoctoral researchers, in line with the Radboudumc leadership vision and contributing to an open and team-science focused atmosphere.
- The chair acquires funding from external sources to establish and consolidate a research program, and is responsible for finance of a research group.
- The chair is expected to contribute to Radboudumc's ambition to become the national center of gravity for neurocognitive and neuroaffective research into stress and stress-related disorders.
- The professor will develop and teach (under)graduate courses in the fields of cognitive and affective neurosciences, in neurobiology of stress-related affective disorders, and in methodology of these fields.
- The professor participates proactively in efforts to communicate scientific knowledge to a broader audience, in media appearances, public lectures, and/or other outreach activities.
Terms of employment
Working at Radboud university medical center means that you are ahead of the curve and working together on the healthcare of the future. And there is more. Our secondary terms of employment are impressive. These are fully tailored to you thanks to our Employment Conditions Selection Model. At...read more
Terms of employment
Working at Radboud university medical center means that you are ahead of the curve and working together on the healthcare of the future. And there is more. Our secondary terms of employment are impressive. These are fully tailored to you thanks to our Employment Conditions Selection Model. At Radboud university medical center, you will be given trust, and you will take the responsibility to handle everything together. We provide annual courses, both professional and personal.
- In addition to your monthly salary and an annual vacation allowance of 8%, you will receive an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.
- If you work irregular hours, you will receive an allowance.
- As a full-time employee (36 hours per week), you are entitled to approximately 168 vacation hours (over 23 days) per year.
- Radboud university medical center pays 70% of the pension premium. You pay the rest of the premium with your gross salary.
- You get a discount on health insurance as well: you can take advantage of two group health insurance plans. UMC Zorgverzekering and CZ collectief.
We would like to receive your application before 2 November. We will then contact you shortly. The first interview round takes place on 22 November 2021. We would appreciate it if you would take this into account. The selection procedure may include an assessment. Radboudumc feels strongly about...read more
We would like to receive your application before 2 November. We will then contact you shortly. The first interview round takes place on 22 November 2021. We would appreciate it if you would take this into account. The selection procedure may include an assessment. Radboudumc feels strongly about achieving an even male/female representation in the position of professor and prefers to appoint a female candidate when equally qualified.
What else can you expect?
When you begin employment, we will request a certificate of conduct (VOG) and, depending on the position, you may be screened. You do not need to do anything for this; we will inform you later.
Radboud university medical center is an employer that welcomes everyone. Every colleague brings valuable experience, expertise, and creativity. We believe in the benefits of a diverse and inclusive organization. #weareradboudumc
Read more about our application procedure or take a look at the frequently asked questions.
We are recruiting for this vacancy ourselves. We only accept applications directly from the applicants themselves, but intermediaries are welcome to share our vacancies in their networks.
For further information on the position please contact the chair of the selection committee, prof. dr. Henri Marres. This position’s structure report can be retrieved from the secretary for this procedure, mrs. Renée Leclercq.
The applicant is required to send an abbreviated CV in addition to the cover letter, which should include:
- Qualifications related to the job.
- Work experience related to the job.
- The top 5 publications, including substantiation for why a specific publication has been selected.