About the position
- 36 hours per week
- 3 years
- Salary scale 10A
- Fulltime: min € 2631 - max € 3336 gross per month
- Apply before 8 December 2022
- Date first interview: 12 December 2022
#weareradboudumc, what about you?
Job descriptionWe look for a dedicated data scientist for clinical and immunological research embedded in our international multi-disciplinary team which aims to improve understanding of the pathophysiology of tuberculous meningitis and thereby to improve its outcome. Will you join our team? read more
We look for a dedicated data scientist for clinical and immunological research embedded in our international multi-disciplinary team which aims to improve understanding of the pathophysiology of tuberculous meningitis and thereby to improve its outcome. Will you join our team?
Tuberculous meningitis is the most lethal form of tuberculosis and the leading cause of meningitis in many global settings, disproportionally affecting infants and young children. Around 50% of adult patients die or remain disabled, and although children with tuberculous meningitis probably have lower mortality, they can suffer serious long term physical and neurocognitive sequelae. The development of novel therapeutic approaches is hampered by lack of knowledge concerning the biological pathways involved, and how existing (e.g. corticosteroids) and alternative adjunctive therapies (e.g. aspirin) improve clinical outcomes. We aim to increase our understanding of the pathophysiology and identify novel targets for host-directed therapies against tuberculous meningitis, funded by NIH (R01-AI145781-01).
Your job will be primarily to analyze and integrate multiple layers of data from well-phenotyped patient cohorts from Vietnam and Indonesia. You will be responsible for the processing of high-quality clinical and biological data, including metabolomics, proteomics and genomics.
Your job will include, but will not be limited to, identifying proteomic or metabolomic biomarkers that predict outcome of disease, linking these biomarkers to genetic variants. Potentially, we can perform a genome-to-genome analysis to unravel the host-pathogen interaction. The coordination and processing of new measurements will also be your responsibility.
We offer you:
- Supervision by multiple researchers, each with specific skills.
- Being part of a diverse and dedicated tuberculosis team.
- The possibility to supervise BSc and MSc students.
- Cerebral tryptophan metabolism and outcome of tuberculous meningitis: an observational cohort study. Van Laarhoven et al. Lancet Infectious Diseases 2018.
- Improving host-directed therapy for tuberculous meningitis by linking clinical and multi-omics data. Van Crevel. Tuberculosis 2021.
DepartmentYou will be part of the tuberculosis research group led by Prof. Reinout van Crevel. This group is part of the department of General Internal Medicine, and has a long-standing interest in improving understanding of tuberculosis. We collaborate closely with our partners in Bandung and Jakarta... read more
You will be part of the tuberculosis research group led by Prof. Reinout van Crevel. This group is part of the department of General Internal Medicine, and has a long-standing interest in improving understanding of tuberculosis. We collaborate closely with our partners in Bandung and Jakarta (Indonesia) and Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) and the Broad Institute (USA).
At the moment there are more than 1,300 PhD candidates at our medical hospital. This number includes PhD candidates on our pay roll as well as external candidates (those employed somewhere else but researching on our premises).
- Radboud Institute for Health Sciences: ± 700
- Radboud Institute for Molecular Life Sciences: ± 400
- Donders Center for Medical Neurosciences: ± 200
Radboud university medical center is a university medical center for patient care, scientific research, and education in Nijmegen. Radboud university medical center strives to be at the forefront of shaping the healthcare of the future. We do this in a person-centered and innovative way, and in close collaboration with our network. We want to have a significant impact on healthcare. We want to improve with each passing day, continuously working towards better healthcare, research, and education. And gaining a better understanding of how diseases arise and how we can prevent, treat, and cure them, day in and day out. This way, every patient always receives the best healthcare, now and in the future. Because that is why we do what we do.
Read more about our strategy and what working at Radboud university medical center means. Our colleagues would be happy to tell you about it. #weareradboudumc
We look for a PhD candidate with a MSc degree in bioinformatics or (bio)medical science with proven affinity for data science.
Futhermore you have:
- Interest in disease mechanism and in immunology in particular.
- Good social skills. You make an effort to connect with our colleagues across cultures.
- Fluency in English communication.
Terms of employmentYou will work primarily from Radboudumc, but a temporary placement abroad at the institute of one of our partners may be possible. Working at Radboud university medical center means that you are ahead of the curve and working together on the healthcare of the future. And there is more. Our... read more
Terms of employment
- A gross monthly salary between € 2.631 and € 3.336 (scale 10A) based on full-time employment.
- An annual vacation allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.
- If you work irregular hours, you will receive an allowance.
- As a full-time employee (36 hours per week), you are entitled to approximately 168 vacation hours (over 23 days) per year.
- Radboud university medical center pays 70% of the pension premium. You pay the rest of the premium with your gross salary.
- You get a discount on health insurance as well: you can take advantage of two group health insurance plans. UMC Zorgverzekering and CZ collectief.
Will you make a difference for our patients? We would like to receive your application before 8 December 2022. We will then contact you shortly. The first interview round takes place on 12 December 2022. We would appreciate it if you would take this into account.
What else can you expect?
When you begin employment, we will request a certificate of conduct (VOG) and, depending on the position, you may be screened. You do not need to do anything for this; we will inform you later.
Radboud university medical center is an employer that welcomes everyone. Every colleague brings valuable experience, expertise, and creativity. We believe in the benefits of a diverse and inclusive organization. #weareradboudumc
Read more about our application procedure or take a look at the frequently asked questions.
We are recruiting for this vacancy ourselves. We only accept applications directly from the applicants themselves, but intermediaries are welcome to share our vacancies in their networks.
Any questions? Please contact dr. Arjan van Laarhoven, internist-infectious diseases specialist. Use the Apply button to submit your application.
Please make clear in your motivation letter what skills you have and which you would like to acquire.
Find the job that suits you
Vacancy PhD Candidate 'Promoting social engagement: Using technologies to increase participation and mutuality in the social life of people with dementia'
Number of hours: 36
Deadline: 11 January 2023