About the position
- 36 hours per week
- 3 years
- Salary scale 10A
- Fulltime: min € 2789 - max € 3536 gross per month
- Apply before 1 March 2023
#weareradboudumc, what about you?
We are looking for a PhD candidate (or junior postdoc) combining data science/AI, wearable EEG technology, and big sleep data. Will you join our ambitious team?
Specifically, the PhD project will focus on:
- Developing a database for large datasets of neurophysiological sleep recordings together with multimodal analysis strategies/pipelines.
- Integration/fusion of neurophysiological data from different sensors with non-physiological data and annotations.
Embedded in and funded by the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action (MSCA) – Doctoral Network Lullabyte within the Horizon Europe Programme of the European Commission, the successful candidate will collaborate within a group of 10 PhD students, 10+ senior scientists, and several industrial partners across Europe to work on the intersection of sleep neuroscience, data science, and musicology.
Read more about the 10 PhD positions open in the MSCA Doctoral Network "Lullabyte" on the effects of music/sound on sleep.
The successful candidate will lead different research projects within this general framework under supervision of neuroscientists and computer scientists. You will locally and internationally cooperate with a highly interdisciplinary set of collaborators and participate in the vibrant Donders Graduate School.
DepartmentThe project is hosted by the Donders Sleep and Memory Lab and embedded in the infrastructure of the Donders Institute . The Donders Institute provides a unique and stimulating learning environment for young researchers, including a high-profile graduate school and in-house methodological expert... read more
The project is hosted by the Donders Sleep and Memory Lab and embedded in the infrastructure of the Donders Institute. The Donders Institute provides a unique and stimulating learning environment for young researchers, including a high-profile graduate school and in-house methodological expert courses. Sleep research is a vibrant and rapidly growing field at the Donders Institute, with several research groups in human and animal sleep research.
At the moment there are more than 1,300 PhD candidates at our medical hospital. This number includes PhD candidates on our pay roll as well as external candidates (those employed somewhere else but researching on our premises).
- Radboud Institute for Health Sciences: ± 700
- Radboud Institute for Molecular Life Sciences: ± 400
- Donders Center for Medical Neurosciences: ± 200
Radboud university medical center is a university medical center for patient care, scientific research, and education in Nijmegen. Radboud university medical center strives to be at the forefront of shaping the healthcare of the future. We do this in a person-centered and innovative way, and in close collaboration with our network. We want to have a significant impact on healthcare. We want to improve with each passing day, continuously working towards better healthcare, research, and education. And gaining a better understanding of how diseases arise and how we can prevent, treat, and cure them, day in and day out. This way, every patient always receives the best healthcare, now and in the future. Because that is why we do what we do.
Read more about our strategy and what working at Radboud university medical center means. Our colleagues would be happy to tell you about it. #weareradboudumc
ProfileWe are looking for an enthousiastic PhD candidate with a strong interest in sleep/dream research and music. You have the capacity and willingness to participate in a collaborative, interdisciplinary, international research environment. Candidates who only partially meet this profile are... read more
We are looking for an enthousiastic PhD candidate with a strong interest in sleep/dream research and music. You have the capacity and willingness to participate in a collaborative, interdisciplinary, international research environment. Candidates who only partially meet this profile are nonetheless strongly encouraged to apply!
- MSc-level background in Computer Sciences, Biomedical Engineering, Data Science, ML, AI or adjacent fields.
- Strong background in Machine Learning, Programming, Signal Processing, Statistics.
- Proficiency in Python, SQL, web development/backend/applications or similar.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Applicants must not have finished a PhD degree before the date of recruitment.
- Applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies etc.) in the Netherlands for more than 12 months in the last 36 months before the date of recruitment.
Terms of employmentThe starting date is flexible between April-September 2023. Working at Radboud university medical center means that you are ahead of the curve and working together on the healthcare of the future. And there is more. Our secondary terms of employment are impressive. These are fully tailored to you... read more
Terms of employment
The starting date is flexible between April-September 2023. Working at Radboud university medical center means that you are ahead of the curve and working together on the healthcare of the future. And there is more. Our secondary terms of employment are impressive. These are fully tailored to you thanks to our Employment Conditions Selection Model. At Radboud university medical center, you will be given trust, and you will take the responsibility to handle everything together. We provide annual courses, both professional and personal.
- A gross monthly salary between € 2.789 and € 3.536 (scale 10A) based on full-time employment.
- An annual vacation allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.
- If you work irregular hours, you will receive an allowance.
- As a full-time employee (36 hours per week), you are entitled to approximately 168 vacation hours (over 23 days) per year.
- Radboud university medical center pays 70% of the pension premium. You pay the rest of the premium with your gross salary.
- You get a discount on health insurance as well: you can take advantage of two group health insurance plans. UMC Zorgverzekering and CZ collectief.
Will you make a difference for our patients? We would like to receive your application before 1 March 2023. We will then contact you shortly.
What else can you expect?
When you begin employment, we will request a certificate of conduct (VOG) and, depending on the position, you may be screened. You do not need to do anything for this; we will inform you later.
Radboud university medical center is an employer that welcomes everyone. Every colleague brings valuable experience, expertise, and creativity. We believe in the benefits of a diverse and inclusive organization. #weareradboudumc
Read more about our application procedure or take a look at the frequently asked questions.
We are recruiting for this vacancy ourselves. We only accept applications directly from the applicants themselves, but intermediaries are welcome to share our vacancies in their networks.
Find the job that suits you
Vacancy PhD candidate 'Electrophysiological characterization of human iPSC-derived neuronal models for neurodevelopmental disorders (BRAINmodel)'
Number of hours: 36
Deadline: 28 February 2023