- 36 hours a week
- 3 years
- Date of publication: 6 December 2018
- Deadline: 1 January 2019
- Scale 10: max € 60309 gross per year at full employment (incl. vacation bonus and end of year payments)
Job descriptionWe invite applications for a postdoctoral position in the field of behavioral neuroscience!
The position is part of a research project named "Stress effects on Memory Accuracy versus Generalisation" (StressAcGen). This project is funded by an Open Research Area grant from the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO) and the German Research Foundation (DFG). It is a collaboration between the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour (PIs Roozendaal, Henckens, and Hermans) in Nijmegen, the Netherlands, and Ruhr-University Bochum (PI Wolf) in Germany.
Stressful and emotionally arousing experiences activate hormonal and brain systems that create strong memories. It remains unclear, however, how this strengthening affects the quality of such memories. The StressAcGen project is an interdisciplinary and translational effort that will conduct human behavioral, pharmacological and neuroimaging studies in combination with mechanistic studies in rodents to develop a novel comprehensive model of how stress hormones influence brain network mechanisms underlying the formation of long-term memories.
The task of the postdoctoral researcher is to perform neurocircuitry-based behavioral studies in rodent models of learning and memory within the general framework of this project. The studies will be conducted at the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition & Behaviour and Radboud university medical center and the position will be primarily embedded in the laboratory of PI Roozendaal in Nijmegen. The postdoctoral fellow will collaborate closely with all PIs and research team members in Nijmegen and Bochum.
ProfileThe ideal candidate will have:
- A PhD in behavioral neuroscience or an adjacent field;
- Experience in rodent research; behavioral testing as well as neural circuitry-based technologies (e.g., DREADD, optogenetics, or in vivo electrophysiology);
- A strong academic track record including publications in leading (inter)disciplinary journals;
- Experience and interest in training and supervising junior scientists;
- The capacity to participate in an interdisciplinary, international, and translational research environment;
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
** Candidates who only partially meet this profile are nonetheless strongly encouraged to apply.**
OrganizationThe project is embedded in the unique and excellent infrastructure of the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, a world-class research center devoted to understanding the mechanistic underpinnings of cognition and behavior in health and disease. It is a highly dynamic institute with a collaborative atmosphere and particular interest into translational research. For further information, please visit the Radboud University and the Department of Cognitive Neuroscience Nijmegen.
Research into stress and stress-related disorders is an important focus area at Radboud university medical center. Researchers working on this theme jointly organize regular discussion meetings and lectures to promote integration of research conducted within molecular, cellular, systems, behavioral, and clinical neurosciences across campus.
Radboudumc strives to be a leading developer of sustainable, innovative and affordable healthcare to improve the health and wellbeing of people and society in the Netherlands and beyond. This is the core of our mission: To have a significant impact on healthcare. To get a better picture of what this entails, check out our strategy.
Read more about what it means to work at Radboudumc and how you can do your part.
- Employment will be for three years;
- Salary will be in accordance with the relevant national labor agreement (Cao UMC) and based on research experience and qualifications;
- The start date for this position is as soon as possible.
- Read more about the Radboudumc employment conditions and what our International Office can do for you when moving to the Netherlands.
- Upon commencement of employment we require a certificate of conduct (Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag, VOG) and there will be a screening based on the provided CV. Radboud university medical center’s HR Department will apply for this certificate on your behalf.
Comments and contact informationApplication
We request applicants to send a motivation letter explaining their interest and qualifications regarding the position, their prior research/work experience, a cv, and contact information of two professional references.
All additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from Prof. Benno Roozendaal via +31 (0)24- 361 09 06. Use the Apply button to submit your application.
Please apply before December 31, 2018, 23:59 CET.
Recruitment agencies are asked not to respond to this job posting.
apply to job
Working at Radboud university medical center
Read more about Terms & Conditions of employment.
Vacancies that comply to your searchprofile will be send to you by email.
create job alert
We support employee mobility by advising and helping international employees with their move to the Netherlands and other practical matters.
Read more about working at Radboudumc and how you can do your part.