- 36 hours a week
- 4 years
- Date of publication: 22 January 2019
- Deadline: 19 February 2019
- Scale 10A: max € 42220 gross per year at full employment (incl. vacation bonus and end of year payments)
Job descriptionAt the Department of Dentistry (research group Regenerative Biomaterials, Radboudumc, Nijmegen, The Netherlands), one four-year PhD position is available focusing on the development of an injectable and antibiotic-free colloidal gel based on gelatin and mesoporous bioglass nanoparticles for minimally invasive treatment of infected bone.
Osteomyelitis is an infection of the bone which may cause severe bone loss. It is increasingly recognized that bacteria can survive within host cells such as macrophages and osteoblasts during osteomyelitis and escape from most antibiotics which usually have a limited capacity to kill intracellular bacteria. Therefore, novel nanostructured bone-substituting biomaterials are urgently required to overcome these challenges by targeting intracellular bacteria and allowing for minimally invasive clinical application. To this end, the well-recognized osteoconductive and antibacterial properties of bioglasses offer unique opportunities for the development of the next generation of antibacterial bone substitutes.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Synthesize mesoporous bioglass nanoparticles (MBN) and characterize their osteogenic and antibacterial properties;
- Surface modify the developed nanoparticles for internalization by cells.
- Construct colloidal gels based the developed MBNs and gelatin nanospheres and characterize their mechanical, injectable properties;
- Establish a rat model for experimental implant-associated osteomyelitis and evaluate the treatment efficacy of the developed materials;
- Supervise MSc and BSc students and disseminate the obtained knowledge by scientific publications and presentations at (inter)national conferences, with the ultimate aim to finalize and publicly defend a PhD-thesis.
- A (recently) completed MSc degree in a relevant area: bioengineering, biomedical sciences, materials science, chemistry, or similar;
- Preferably experience with synthesis and biological evaluation of inorganic nanoparticles made of bioceramics such as bioglass;
- Capacity and willingness to connect the fields of biology, medicine and materials science;
- Team spirit and eagerness to collaborate with external partners
- A pro-active and independent attitude.
OrganizationThe PhD candidate will be appointed at the Department of Dentistry (research group Regenerative Biomaterials, Radboudumc, Nijmegen, The Netherlands) as part of a multidisciplinary team of researchers in- and outside Nijmegen consisting of materials scientists, biologists, and dental/medical clinicians. The research group Regenerative Biomaterials is a leading research group within the Netherlands that focuses on bioinspired strategies for the design of novel, synthetic bone-substituting biomaterials. As such, the research activities within this research group cover material development and characterization, in vitro testing, in vivo evaluation, and clinical trials. The candidate will also have a chance to work in Shanghai Jiao Tong University China for 6 months.
Radboudumc strives to be a leading developer of sustainable, innovative and affordable healthcare to improve the health and wellbeing of people and society in the Netherlands and beyond. This is the core of our mission: To have a significant impact on healthcare. To get a better picture of what this entails, check out our strategy.
Read more about what it means to work at Radboudumc and how you can do your part.
Employment conditionsUpon commencement of employment we require a certificate of conduct (Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag, VOG) and there will be, depending on the type of job, a screening based on the provided cv. Radboud university medical center’s HR Department will apply for this certificate on your behalf.
Read more about the Radboudumc employment conditions and what our International Office can do for you when moving to the Netherlands.
Comments and contact informationApplication
To apply, please include a letter describing motivation, research interests, a cv with full publication list, names and contact information of (at least) two references and a summary of research interests in a single pdf-file.
All additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from Dr. Sander Leeuwenburgh via +31 (0)24 309 29 36 or from Dr. Fang +31 (0)24 309 29 31. Use the Apply button to submit your application.
Please apply before 24 February.
Recruitment agencies are asked not to respond to this job posting.
apply to job
Working at Radboud university medical center
Read more about Terms & Conditions of employment.
Vacancies that comply to your searchprofile will be send to you by email.
create job alert
We support employee mobility by advising and helping international employees with their move to the Netherlands and other practical matters.
Read more about working at Radboudumc and how you can do your part.