- 32 hours a week
- Permant position with evaluation after 1 year
- Date of publication: 28 April 2020
- Deadline: 29 May 2020
- Scale 11/12: min € 3808 - max € 5944 gross per month at full employment (excl. vacation bonus and end of year payments)
Job descriptionWe are looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious Assistant Professor (Universitair Docent) to perform preclinical therapeutic studies for inherited neurometabolic diseases.
This large group of more than 600 different recessive conditions present with central and peripheral nervous system features (epilepsy, dementia, neuropathy, sensory deficiency) which are usually progressive in nature. For an increasing number of these conditions (n>100) therapeutic options are available, varying from nutritional supplements, medical diets, small molecule therapies, organ transplant, stem cell and gene therapies. Only a subset is currently included in the newborn screening panels.
In this position, you will focus on preclinical therapeutic studies for inherited neurometabolic diseases including pyridoxine-dependent epilepsy, Glucose-1 transporter deficiency, congenital disorders of glycosylation and mitochondrial disorders. Modelling these diseases in cell lines including patient’s induced pluripotent stem cell derived neurons and model organisms is key in your program. This also involves phenotyping with identification of outcome parameters, high throughput compound screening, gene-based therapies (e.g. CrispR-Cas9) and RNA-based therapies (e.g. anti-sense oligonucleotides). Efficacy studies will include structural, functional and biochemical parameters, using experimental strategies like omics-based approaches, neuro-imaging, neurophysiologic studies. The content of this work is in line with the goals of the Dutch consortium ‘United for Metabolic Diseases’.
Tasks and responsibilities
The successful candidate is a translational researcher who will:
- Design, supervise and perform a scientific program in the area of in vitro and in vivo translational neuroscience, metabolic medicine and molecular biology.
- Collaborate with colleagues in multiple disciplines in fundamental, clinical and translational science.
- Generate and analyses the data for scientific publications and presents findings at scientific meetings.
- Supervise researchers at the Bsc, MSc, MD, PhD and post-doc level.
- Teach courses in related Radboudumc study programs.
- Work in a stimulating and highly ambitious research environment.
- Apply for funding at the local, national and institutional levels.
- A background in molecular / cell biology is highly desirable.
- Excellent post-doctoral researcher who preferably obtained their PhD degree within the last 5 years.
- Strong motivation to perform top internationally-recognized research.
- At least 2 years of post-doctoral experience.
- At least six months of international experience.
- A proven research track record in research, publications, funding
- High affinity for applied research in the Radboudumc metabolic research theme
- Works independently but can also work well in a team.
- Strong skills in project management, flexibility, proactive behavior and excellent communication and scientific writing skills.
OrganizationThe position is in the Department of Pediatrics in close collaboration with the Translational Metabolic Laboratory and the Departments of Human Genetics and Neurology. The candidate will be embedded in the Research Theme ‘Metabolic Disorders’ as part of the Radboud Institute for Molecular Life Sciences (RIMLS), working closely together with researchers from the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour.
The theme integrates all metabolic diseases related care, diagnostics, therapy and translational research and comprises multiple centers of expertise (mitochondrial diseases, CDG, metabolic epilepsy and movement disorders), constitutes part of an extended network of international research centers and patient organizations, and is a member of the ERN Neuromuscular Diseases (ERN EURO-NMD) and ERN Metabolic Diseases (MetabERN). The Research Theme ‘Metabolic Disorders’ aims to translate basic and clinical research into improved diagnosis, therapy and care for patients and families with inborn errors of metabolism. Read more about the Radboud Personalized Healthcare Center (RCMM).
Radboudumc strives to be a leading developer of sustainable, innovative and affordable healthcare to improve the health and wellbeing of people and society in the Netherlands and beyond. This is the core of our mission: To have a significant impact on healthcare. To get a better picture of what this entails, check out our strategy.
Read more about what it means to work at Radboudumc and how you can do your part.
Employment conditionsSalary is depending on experience according to Cao umc scale 11 or 12 plus additional vacation bonus (8% per year) and end of year payments (8,3% per year).
Upon commencement of employment we require a certificate of conduct (Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag, VOG) and there will be, depending on the type of job, a screening based on the provided cv. Radboud university medical center’s HR Department will apply for this certificate on your behalf.
Read more about the Radboudumc employment conditions and what our International Office can do for you when moving to the Netherlands.
Comments and contact informationAn assessment may be part of the selection procedure.
Applicants should send a letter of intent outlining special interest in the position, overall related qualifications, experience and career goals, a curriculum vitae and names and addresses of at least three professional references.
All additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from Prof. Clara van Karnebeek or from Prof. Dirk Lefeber via the secretary office, +31(24) 361 44 30. Use the Apply button to submit your application.
Please apply before 29 May 2020.
Recruitment agencies are asked not to respond to this job posting.
apply to job
Working at Radboud university medical center
Read more about Terms & Conditions of employment.
Vacancies that comply to your searchprofile will be send to you by email.
create job alert
We support employee mobility by advising and helping international employees with their move to the Netherlands and other practical matters.
Read more about working at Radboudumc and how you can do your part.