About the position
- 18 hours per week
- 5 years
- Salary scale 10A
- min € 2495 - max € 3196 gross per month for full-time employment
- Deadline: 5 May 2021
- Date first interview: in the afternoon of 11 and 12 May 2021
#weareradboudumc, what about you?
We are looking for a highly motivated PhD-candidate to explore the effect of surface modification and angle repositioning of TADs in orthodontic treatment. Gamechangers for survival?
These TADs are temporary mini-implants used to control orthodontic tooth movement and can be easily placed via minimally invasive procedures, allow fast mechanical loading, and are cheap. However, the current generation of TADs show high failure rates in some areas of the alveolar process, meaning that their stability is compromised prior to finalizing orthodontic treatment. In line with the optimization of regular dental implants via surface modifications, the goal in this project is to modify the surface of TADs to improve osseointegration and hence survival without compromising removability. Additionally, the angular placement of TADs will be explored to increase their capacity to withstand loading forces during orthodontic treatment.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Formulating research questions and utilizing suitable methods to answer these.
- Carrying out a systematic review and meta-analysis on the topic to gather information from the available literature.
- Initiating animal experiments to evaluate the effect of TAD surface modifications and angulation on osseointegration and removability.
- Writing scientific manuscripts toward publishing research in top scientific journals.
- Presenting research data at (inter)national scientific meetings.
- Participating actively in multidisciplinary research discussions.
- Finalizing the temporary position with a PhD-thesis to be defended in public to obtain the degree of doctor in the medical sciences from Radboud University.
The Department of Dentistry is a vital component for education, healthcare and research in dentistry and related subjects. As such, the Department of Dentistry is a dynamic entity within Radboudumc, housing facilities for dental education, dental care, and research activities related to material...read more
The Department of Dentistry is a vital component for education, healthcare and research in dentistry and related subjects. As such, the Department of Dentistry is a dynamic entity within Radboudumc, housing facilities for dental education, dental care, and research activities related to material science, cell culture and animal experimentation (including histological processing and analysis). For this project, the supervision team will be composed of staff scientists covering multidisciplinary backgrounds from the units ‘Regenerative Biomaterials’, ‘Implantology & Periodontology’, and ‘Orthodontics and Craniofacial Biology’.
At the moment there are more than 1,300 PhD candidates at our medical hospital. This number includes PhD candidates on our pay roll as well as external candidates (those employed somewhere else but researching on our premises).
- Radboud Institute for Health Sciences: ± 700
- Radboud Institute for Molecular Life Sciences: ± 400
- Donders Center for Medical Neurosciences: ± 200
Radboud university medical center is a university medical center for patient care, scientific research, and education in Nijmegen. Radboud university medical center strives to be at the forefront of shaping the healthcare of the future. We do this in a person-centered and innovative way, and in close collaboration with our network. We want to have a significant impact on healthcare. We want to improve with each passing day, continuously working towards better healthcare, research, and education. And gaining a better understanding of how diseases arise and how we can prevent, treat, and cure them, day in and day out. This way, every patient always receives the best healthcare, now and in the future. Because that is why we do what we do.
Read more about our strategy and what working at Radboud university medical center means. Our colleagues would be happy to tell you about it. #weareradboudumc.
The candidate is a motivated dentist or orthodontist (MSc-level) with strong interest in orthodontics and implantology. Additionally, the candidate has a strong drive to succeed and can efficiently work in a multidisciplinary team. A high level of independence is required to complete research...read more
The candidate is a motivated dentist or orthodontist (MSc-level) with strong interest in orthodontics and implantology. Additionally, the candidate has a strong drive to succeed and can efficiently work in a multidisciplinary team. A high level of independence is required to complete research, addressing scientific questions related to the use of TADs for orthodontic treatment with focus on theoretic and practical principles; the research will additionally include animal experimental work to evaluate the survival of TADs by mechanical and histological evaluation.
The following characteristics pinpoint your personality:
- Motivated and ambitious to succeed.
- Independent work attitude, but also capable of working in a team.
- High level of proficiency in English language.
- Excellent writing skills in English.
- Analytical, empathic and social.
Terms of employment
Working at Radboud university medical center means that you are ahead of the curve and working together on the healthcare of the future. But there is more. Our secondary terms of employment are impressive. These are fully tailored to you thanks to our Employment Conditions Selection Model. At...read more
Terms of employment
Working at Radboud university medical center means that you are ahead of the curve and working together on the healthcare of the future. But there is more. Our secondary terms of employment are impressive. These are fully tailored to you thanks to our Employment Conditions Selection Model. At Radboud university medical center, you will be given trust, and you will take the responsibility to handle everything together. We provide annual courses, both professional and personal.
- In addition to your monthly salary and an annual vacation allowance of 8%, you will receive an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.
- If you work irregular hours, you will receive an allowance (47% or 72%) for this.
- As a full-time employee, you are entitled to approximately 168 vacation hours (over 23 days) per year.
- Radboud university medical center pays 70% of the pension premium. You pay the rest of the premium with your gross salary.
- You get a discount on health insurance as well: you can take advantage of two group health insurance plans. UMC Zorgverzekering and CZ collectief.
Apply at Radboud university medical center
What can you expect when you apply for a job at Radboudumc?
Read the frequently asked questions from applicants and of course the answers.
All additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from Dr. Jan Willem Hoekstra, Resident in Orthodontics via +31(0)24 361 40 27 of Dr. Jeroen van den Beucken, associate professor Dentistry via +31(0)6 21 10 17 24. Use the Apply button to submit your application.
The first interview round takes place in the afternoon of 11 and 12 May. We would appreciate it if you would take this into account. We would like to receive your application before 5 May 2021.
What else can you expect?
When you join us, we require a certificate of conduct (Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag, VOG) and there will be, depending on the type of job, a screening based on the provided cv. You do not have to do anything for this; we will tell you more later. Read more what our International Office can do for you when moving to the Netherlands, about the application process or view our frequently asked questions.
Recruitment agencies are asked not to respond to this job posting.