Would you like to help PhD supervisors to make the communication with their PhDs more efficient? Are you the ideal PhD candidate, but sometimes you would like to make your supervisor’s life a lot more difficult? Or do you love acting so much you want to make it part of your PhD? Or do you simply want to contribute to the training of PhD supervisors? These are all excellent reasons to register as a ‘simulation PhD candidate’.
After a very successful pilot, the ‘Learning program for PhD supervisors’ will be given both in English and in Dutch this fall & winter. Part of this course is dedicated to practicing the communication skills of PhD supervisors with actual PhD candidates (‘simulation PhD candidates’). Each supervisor describes a situation that he/she finds difficult. In a role-play, the supervisor and you play this situation in several scenarios.
What do we expect?
- Time investment: one or two afternoons at the actual course + a one-hour preparation meeting. The courses take place off-campus (at cycling distance from Radboudumc).
- You are a PhD candidate or have graduated recently. You don’t need to be a professional actor, but you bring your experience as a PhD candidate an the PhDs around you.
- The situations will be played in Dutch or English, depending on both the simulation PhD candidate and the supervisor.
- We will make sure you will not practice with members of your own supervision team.
What do you get?
- A lot of fun and an experience of the struggles of PhD supervisors
- 4 study hours for your PhD portfolio
- A small present
Dates & times:
- Preparation meeting is to be determined
- Thursday 10 November 13:30 – 16:30 as part of course in Dutch; (Dutch language is not a requirement for the simulation PhD candidate)
- Monday 28 November 13:30 – 16:30 as part of the course in English
How to register?
If you are interested, please send an email to Postbus RIMLS Graduate School with the following information:
- start year of your PhD
- research institute
- availability on 10 November 13:30 – 16:30 (Dutch language course)
- availability on 28 November 13:30 – 16: 30 (English language course)
Depending on the number of registrations, you may be asked at a later stage for a short motivation. Registration deadline: Wednesday 4 October.
Related news items
Do you want to participate in producing a short film about your PhD research?27 September 2022
In the BMS master course 'Moving Science-using film in science communication' master students will have to make a short film on a scientific subject. And what better subject than a PhD project? Sign up here!read more
Take a special look inside Radboudumc on 2 October Open Day for young and old12 September 2022
On Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 October, the Radboud university medical center, Radboud University and the HAN are participating in the 'Weekend van de Wetenschap'. At all locations there are fun and interesting programs for young and old.read more
How to communicate successfully about your research?30 August 2022
In addition to doing solid, meaningful, and pioneering research, it is crucial that scientists communicate effectively. Join a training course that helps you communicate successfully and with more passion about your research at the Radboud in'to Languages.read more
Course on entrepreneurship for PhD candidates and postdocs19 July 2022
Are you thinking about what to do after your PhD? Want to know more about entrepreneurship? This course gives you insight in many aspects of entrepreneurship and research in industry.read more