People Iris Nagtegaal
prof. dr. Iris Nagtegaal
About Iris NagtegaalIris Nagtegaal is Professor of Gastrointestinal Pathology since 2013 and theme leader of the research theme Tumors of the digestive tract. read more
About Iris NagtegaalIris Nagtegaal is Professor of Gastrointestinal Pathology since 2013 and theme leader of the research theme: Tumors of the digestive tract. She is gastrointestinal pathologist in the Radboudumc and expert pathologist of the National Bowel Cancer Screening Program. After her PhD in 2002 (Leiden University, Pathology of rectal carcinoma, cum laude), she trained in pathology at the Radboudumc, Rijnstate Hospital, CWZ and Leeds University Hospital (Leeds, UK). As a fellow of the Dutch Cancer Society she trained her scientific skills at the Netherlands Cancer Institute, Baylor College of Medicine (Houston, USA) and Queen Mary's University of London (UK), after which she returned to the Radboudumc as a gastrointestinal pathologist.
Iris Nagtegaal's main research interest focuses on personalized pathology of colorectal cancer: improving patients prognosis by providing evidence based diagnosis and basis for treatment. She studies the processes of tumor development, local recurrence, metastases and tumor regression, using a combination of traditional and molecular pathology, combined with clinical data to detect novel prognostic and predictive factors.In addition,optimal use of national databases provide new and relevant data for further studies.
- 1982-1990 Secondary school (VWO, Scholengemeenschap Noordendijk, Dordrecht)
- 1990-1996 University (Biomedical Sciences, Leiden University, cum laude)
- 1993-1998 University (Medicine, Leiden University)
- 1998-2002 PhD (Leiden University, cum laude). Promoters: Prof. C.J.H. van de Velde, Prof. J.H.J.M. van Krieken. Title of thesis: Pathological aspects of rectal carcinoma
- 2001-2005 Pathology specialization (UMC St Radboud, Rijnstate Hospital, CWZ, Leeds University Hospital).
- Promotors specialization: Prof. D.J. Ruiter, prof. Dr. J.H.J.M. van Krieken, Dr. F. van de Molengraft, dr. H.E. Schaafsma, Prof. P. Quirke
Personal prizes & awards
- 2012: Rising Star Award of the United European Gastroenterology Federations
- 2006: Fellowship of the Dutch Cancer Society
- 2003: AstraZeneca Research Award for the best gastrointestinal PhD thesis in the Netherlands