the Radboudumc center of expertise
Radboudumc’s center of expertise in Adrenal Gland Diseases specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with adrenal gland diseases. In particular:
- Primary hyperaldosteronism
- Hereditary adrenal hyperplasia/adrenital syndrome (AGS)
- Cushing syndrome
- Adrenal cortex insufficiency (Addison disease)
- Adrenocortical carcinoma
We treat both children and adults. We also conduct scientific research into adrenal diseases and teach students of Medicine and of Biomedical Sciences, doctors (in training), nurses and clinical chemists.
Adrenal gland diseases
The adrenal glands are organs that lie above the kidneys. The adrenal glands make hormones. For example:
- Aldosterone: ensures that you do not lose too much salt in the kidneys. This helps maintain your blood pressure.
- Cortisol: this hormone plays a part in the immune system, exercise, stress and regulation of your blood sugar.
- Sex steroids: takes care of, for example, menstruation, breast-formation and body hair.
If the production of these hormones is disrupted, this can cause all kinds of symptoms.
Collaboration of specialists
The strength of the center of expertise lies in collaboration. Patients with adrenal gland disease have to deal with different specialists, because the causes and symptoms of the disease are very diverse, like the internist endocrinologist, internist vascular physician, pediatrician endocrinologist, surgeon, urologist, radiologist or anesthetist. In our center of expertise these doctors and specialized nurses work together to coordinate the complicated treatment(s) of patients with adrenal diseases as effectively as possible.
Radboudumc’s center of expertise in Adrenal Gland Diseases is acknowledged as a center of expertise by the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport.