Chris van Weel full professorChris is professor of General Practice and was head of the department Primary and Community Care (1985 - 2012).
Chris was also professor of Primary Health Care Research Australian National University (ANU) 2013 - 2016, a general practitioner in Community Health Centre Ommoord, Rotterdam, 1973 – 1985. He received his PhD at Erasmus University Rotterdam, 1981. Chris was president of the World Organization of Family Doctors, WONCA, 2007 – 2010.
Research Interests: Primary health care morbidity, long-term outcome of chronic diseases in family practice, from which currently more than 750 papers have been published and 78 successfully completed PhDs supervised. Chris did lead an academic practice based research network that collects research data for the research program, The Nijmegen Continuous Morbidity Registration / Monitoring Project.
Chris is co-founder of Nijmegen Centre 'Evidence Based medical Practice', co-founder of Netherlands School of Primary Care Research (CaRe), co-developer of a community oriented undergraduate curriculum (introduced in 1995) in which primary care plays a leading role and co-founder of Brisbane Iniative. He also is founder (1992) and until 2012 chair of the EU Erasmus exchange programme Primary Health Care in which medical students from 15 countries participate for clinical attachments and research electives in primary health care.
Personal prizes & awards national & international
- 2013: Honary Fellow World Organization of Family Doctors (WONCA), 2013
- 2010: Honorary Fellow Phillipines Academy of Family Physocians (2010)
- 2009: Honoraray Fellow Hong Kong College of Family Physocians (2009)
- 2008: Honorary Fellow Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, 2007 Maurice Wood Award NAPCRG
- 2007: Officer Order of Oranje-Nassau
- 2007: Honorary Member Dutch College of General Practitioners (NHG)
- 2006: Eric Elder Medal, Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners
- 2003: Honorary Doctorate (Doctor Honoris Causa), University of Ghent, Belgium
- 1991: Honorary Fellow Royal College of General Practitioners, UK