Judith Prins full professorJudith Prins (1958) has been connected with Radboud university medical center since 1986. Her clinical and scientific activities lie in the field of psycho-oncology, with a focus on screening and matched psychological care.
Judith’s clinical and research interest have been directed at effectiveness of psychological interventions for patients with somatic conditions. Randomized controlled trials are being conducted on web based self-management, nurse-led supportive care, group medical consultations and e-health psychological interventions for cancer patients. Related research activities are the development of new screening instruments for distress and empowerment, the primary outcomes, and prospective studies in cancer patient cohorts, from diagnosis through survivorship to palliative care. A new and understudied psychological construct is fear of cancer recurrence. Theoretical models are tested to find the central conscious and unconscious processes to be addressed in psychological interventions.
Trained as a developmental psychologist, Judith worked as a junior researcher and psychologist at the Center for Pediatric Oncology from 1986 until 1989. From 1991-1996 she specialized as a clinical psychologist at our hospital. After her doctorate in 2003, Judith held several positions at the Department of Medical Psychology including supervisor, tutor, patient care coordinator and associate professor.
Judith was appointed interim head of the Department of Medical Psychology in 2007, followed by an appointment as head of the department and full professor of Medical Psychology (2009). She has edited several text books and has (co)authored over 175 publications.
As of 1 April, Judith Prins has been appointed scientific director (a.i.) for the Radboud Institute for Health Sciences.
- Founding member and board member of the Ronald McDonald House in Nijmegen (1988-1992).
- Several board functions at social bodies in Overbetuwe (1989-2007).
- Chair of the working group Psychologists IKNL East (2004-2014).
- Board member of SPON (nowadays: Radboud Center Social Sciences, Tutors in Man & Society) (2007-2014).
- Chair of the board of the Dutch Behavioral Medicine Federation (since 2008).
- Member of the psychosocial advisory council of Pink Ribbon (2009-2017).
- (Vice)president of scientific advisory boards of the Dutch Cancer Society (2010-2018).
- Board member of the Radboud Foundation AYA (2010-2018).
- Member of the jury award (2011-2013) and member of the educational council (2012-2016) of the Dutch Foundation for Psychosocial Oncology.
- Board member of the NKCV (2013-2017).
- Member of the Committee Profesionals of the National Society of Medical Psychology.
- Member of the convent of Medical Psychology full professors in the Netherlands.
- Several positions at Radboudumc: Educational Committee Medicine (2004-2015), PAOG Core Commission Palliative Care (2005), Commission Professional Behavior (2006-2017), Mentor Female Career Development (2010), Talent Board (2011) and Top Staff Commission (2012-2018).
- Member of the Governing Council of the International Society of Behavioral Medicine.
- Scientific Program Chair (2019-2020) International Conference Behavioral Medicine.
- 1970-1976: High school (with classical education, alpha, Stedelijk Gymnasium Nijmegen)
- 1976-1984: University (Psychology, Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen)
- 1991-1996: Specialization Clinical Psychologist and Psychotherapist (UMC St Radboud, Nijmegen) Tutor: professor G. Bleijenberg PhD
- 1997: Specialization Cognitive Behavioral Therapist
- 2002: Registration as CBT supervisor
- 2003: Doctorate (Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen), thesis title: Cognitive behaviour therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome
- 2004-2005: Radboud Course Integral Management (Radboudumc, product group HRM)
- 2008-2009: Course leadership (Avicenna)
- 2016-2017: Course leadership (TIAS)