People Michael Edwards
About Michael EdwardsProf. Edwards was born on June 22, 1969 in Delft, The Netherlands. He graduated from the Pallas College Zoetermeer (Gymnasium) in 1987. Medical school was started at the university of Leiden. During college years he worked as an ER-assistant at the Emergency Department of the LUMC and as an Emergency Medical Technician at the EMS ambulance service of Gebr. De Jong Leiden. In 1993 he started his dessertation under supervision of prof. A.B. van Vugt MD. This also involved a 4-month rotation on several ambulance services and emergency departments in the cities Seattle, Los Angeles, Phoenix and New York city. After completion of his internships he worked as a junior resident at the department of Trauma and Emergency surgery of the Medical University of Milwaukee.
In December 1995 he graduated from Medical school. In 1996 he became a junior resident at the department of Surgery at LUMC and continued his research in the field of trauma patient care. During 1997 he worked as a junior resident at the department of Surgical IC until he started residency in General Surgery at the University of Leiden in 1998. Until 2001 he was a resident at the Red Cross Hospital in the Hague. After completing surgical training he performed a 2 year fellowship trauma surgery at the Erasmus MC incl. HEMS physician training. From 2004 he aquired a staffposition at the Radboudumc. In 2012 he was appointed as professor trauma surgery. He lives together with his wife Jacqueline and their 3 daughters.
- course director Advanced Trauma Life Support (2018-present)
- course director Advanced Life Support (2011-present)
- president OTC Netherlands (2013-present)
- president DSATC Netherlands (2012-present)
- president elect of OTC Foundation (2018- present)
- Resident program director ER (2008-2014)
- Head of the ER Department (2009-2015)
- Chef-de-Clinique Surgery Radboudumc (2004-2008)
- HEMS physician crew member (2003-2009)