Peter Pickkers full professor
Peter Pickkers is Professor of Experimental Intensive Care Medicine at Radboudumc. His research focuses on pharmacological modulation of the innate immune response in translational models and patients, and the consequences for organ function, with a focus on the kidney and brain.read more
Peter Pickkers full professorPeter Pickkers is Professor of Experimental Intensive Care Medicine at the Radboud University Medical Center Nijmegen, the Netherlands. He qualified as MD (1991) and completed his residency in Internal and Intensive Care Medicine at the Radboud University Nijmegen. In 2000 he received his doctorate, titled ‘Vascular effects of diuretics’, cum laude. His research focuses on pharmacological modulation of the innate immune response in translational models and patients, and the consequences for organ function, with a focus on the kidney and brain.
At this moment he supervises 17 PhD-students, 2 post-docs, 3 research nurses, 1 trial coordinator and 1 technician. With over 1000 human endotoxemia experiments performed, he leads the most active group using this model of inflammation worldwide. He has given invited lectures on all major meetings in the field of intensive care medicine and nephrology. He cooperates with various international experts in the field of sepsis and nephrology and has participated in several guideline and steering committees. He is in the editorial board of Intensive Care Medicine, Intensive Care Medicine Experimental and Shock.
- Leader Radboudumc Controlled Human Infection Models (Center for Infectious Diseases (RCI), Nijmegen, the Netherlands) (2018-present).
- Executive board member Research Collaboration in Critical Care in the Netherlands (RCCNet) (2018-present).
- Co-initiator SOS-Sepsis petition (Den Haag, the Netherlands) (2017-present).
- Section editor Intensive Care Medicine Experimental, journal of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine (2014-present).
- Board member Stichting Werkgroep Antibioticabeleid (SWAB) Sepsis guideline committee (the Netherlands) (2012-present).
- Review committee International Society Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine (2012-present).
- Review committee European Society Intensive Care Medicine (2010-present).
- Member scientific committee of the Nijmegen Institute for Infection, Inflammation and Immunity (Nijmegen, the Netherlands) (2007-present).
- Lecturer in multiple national master classes (the Netherlands) (2007-present).
- Lecturer various modules related to intensive care/infection/sepsis, master phase medicine (Radboudumc, Nijmegen, the Netherlands) (2007-present).
- Review committee Dutch Society of Intensive Care (the Netherlands) (2007-present).