prof. dr. Rene Bindels
About Rene BindelsRené Bindels is as physiologist interested in the regulation of ion transport processes in kidney and small intestine in health and disease.
Current projects involve the molecular mechanisms controlling the calcium and magnesium balance in general and the regulation of the new family of epithelial calcium and magnesium channels (TRPV5, TRPV6, TRPM6 and TRPM7) in particular.
In addition, the functional consequences of mutations in the human ROMK2, NKCC2, NCC and TRPM6 transporters identified in Bartter and Gitelman syndrome and inherited hypomagnesemia are investigated. The studies include use of established epithelial cell lines, tissue-specific knockout mice models, and electrophysiological and biochemical analysis of channel activity.
He is responsible for several physiology courses for medical and health science students. He is an elected member of the Academia Europaea. Since 2010 he is the scientific director of the Radboud Institute for Molecular Life Sciences (RIMLS).
Education / Agenda
- 1968-1974: High school (Canisius College, Nijmegen)
- 1974-1981: University (Biology, Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen)
- 1986: PhD (Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen) Promotor: prof. dr. J. Slegers Titel thesis: Phosphate, calcium and magnesium metabolism in the spontaneously hypertensive rat
Personal prizes & awards
- Elected member of the Academia Europaea
- Carl W. Gottschalk Distinguished Lecturer of the American Physiological Society Renal Section
- Robert Franklin Pitts Lecturer from the International Union of Physiological Sciences (IUPS)
- Homer W. Smith award from the American Society of Nephrology
- Knight of the Order of the Dutch Lion
- Robert W. Berliner Award for Excellence in Renal Physiology of the American Physiological Society, Renal Section
- Chair of the Secretion and Absorption Commission of the International Union of Physiological Sciences
- Executive editor of Pflügers Archiv - European Journal of Physiology (2007-2016)
- Chair of Radboudumc' s UMC-Raad (2008-2010)
- Member of the organizing committee of the Kidney Week of the American Society of Nephrology (2013)
- Member of scientific associations: NL Vereniging voor Fysiologie, NL Federatie voor Nefrologie, American Society of Nephrology, International Society of Nephrology, American Physiological Society
- Editorial board member of the magazines: Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, Kidney International, American Journal of Physiology, Renal Physiology, Acta Physiological