dr. Ronald Pennings
About Ronald Pennings
Ronald Pennings is ENT consultant specialised in ear surgery. He is clinical director of Hearing & Genes, an acknowledged expertisecenter for (genetic) diagnostics (and treatment) of sensorineural hearing loss. He initiated the DOOFNL consortium, a collaboration of all Dutch academic ENT and Genetic Departments to improve otogenetic diagnostics and to conduct collaborative research. Since 2018, he is awarded Principal Clinician of the Radboud university medical center for his patient participatory clinical care.Ronald's research focuses on gene-identification and genotype-phenotype correlation studies of nonsyndromic (e.g. DFNA9) and syndromic hearing loss (e.g. Usher syndrome). His patients participate in his research and he supports patient organisations like 'De negende van', 'Ushersyndroom' and 'SWODB'. His research of the past years provided more knowledge on the pathogenetic processes in the cochlea and the related clinical effect on audiovestibular performance. In the years to come, his research will focus more on the development and evaluation of inner ear molecular therapies to stop or cure sensorineural hearing loss.
- Board member of the NVWPO (Nederlands-Vlaamse Werkgroep voor Pediatrische Otorhinolaryngologie 2010- present)
- Member of Nederlandse Vereniging voor Keel- Neus- en oorheelkunde (2008 - present)
- Member of EAONO (European Academy of Otology and NeuroOtology 2010-present)
- Member of VNOG (Vlaams-Nederlands Otologen Genootschap 2010 - present)
- Member of Politzer Society (2009 - present)