About Willem de Boode
Willem-Pieter de Boode (Arnhem, 1966) received his doctorate degree with honours from the VU University Amsterdam. He specialised in Paediatrics (in Radboudumc and Sint Joseph Hospital, current Maxima Medical Center, in Veldhoven) and in Neonatology (Radboudumc), after which he was registered in 1999 as a Neonatologist. In 2010, he obtained his PhD at Radboud University on research into advanced techniques to investigate and monitor the blood circulation of newborns. De Boode is a paediatrician-neonatologist and staff member of the Neonatology department at the Amalia Children's Hospital Nijmegen. He is coordinator of the Radboudumc Center of Expertise for Neonatal Hemodynamics and, as a former chairman and co-founder, is closely involved in the Dutch working group Neonatal Hemodynamics.
He is a board member of the Netherlands Neonatology Network (N3) and a member of the N3 Research working group. Moreover, he is council member of the European Society for Paediatric Research (ESPR) and secretary of the ESPR Section “Circulation, Oxygen Transport and Haematology”. Willem is chairman of the ESPR special interest group “Neonatologist Performed Echocardiography (NPE)”, that is formulating European clinical, technical and training guidelines regarding the use of echocardiography on the NICU. He's the project leader of the BeNeDuctus Trial, an international multi-center, randomized non-inferiority trial of early treatment versus expectative management of patent ductus arteriosus in preterm infants, that is funded by The Netherlands Organization for Health Research and Development (ZonMw). Willem-Pieter de Boode has been appointed Professor of Neonatology at Radboud University/Radboud university medical center (Radboudumc) with effect from 1 October 2019. Willem de Boode is happily married and father of 4 children. His hobbies are drumming, boat building and theatre.
- Council member European Society for Paediatric Research (ESPR)
- Chair ESPR Section Circulation, Oxygen Transport & Haematology
- Chair European Special Interest Group 'Neonatologist Performed Echocardiography'
- Member of the leadership team on the Neonatal Hemodynamics TnECHO Special Interest Group (NHTS), American Society of Echocardiography (ASE)
- Member Neonatal Hemodynamics Club Advisory Committee, Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS)
- Member Advocate Advisory Board 'Perinatal life support (PLS) system: Integration of enabling technologies for clinical translation'
- Extra-ordinary Associate Professor at Stellenbosch University, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Cape Town, South Africa
- full professor