- normal behaviour (2x open field)
- learning &memory (2x Morris water maze, Barnes maze)
- sensory-motor integration (Rotarod)
- automated observation in home cages (8x phenotypers)
- tracking and analyzing (social) behavior, cognition, movement of animals in multiple arenas (2x EthoVision XT ® (10) tracking software )
- Blood pressure (1x tail cuff plethysmography)
- SR-LAB (startle response system) for prepulse inhibition
- Grip Strengt Meter for mice and rats
- laser Doppler system
About our equipmentConjoint measures of behavior & cognition and brain imaging are indispensable for corroboration of the relation between e.g. cognition and brain metabolism, blood flow, and white matter (connectivity) as measured with MRS, ASL, DTI and fcMRI. In the Behavior & Cognition Facilities, (social) behavior, cognition, sensory-motor integration and blood pressure in neural development, adolescence, ageing and neurodegenerative diseases can be measured in several mice models, in relation to e.g. lifestyle (diet and exercise) or drug compounds.
The EthoVision XT ® (15) tracking software is used in PRIME for all cognitive tests like the open field test, or tests with mazes such as the Morris water maze or the Barnes maze. This video tracking software tracks and analyses the behavior, cognition, movement, and activity of animals in multiple arenas or mazes. With the Multiple Body Point Module social interaction between animals can be monitored as well. In the available Phenotyper Systems in PRIME, animals can be observed automated for 24 hrs a day. The Automatic Behavior Recognition module of EthoVision XT ® (15) recognizes a list of ten mouse behaviors (Grooming, hopping, supported rearing, unsupported rearing, digging, sniffing, walking, resting, eating, and drinking) automatically. For the Phenotyper systems we also use the Noldus Lickometer, Mouse Feeding Monitor and PhenoWheels. Noldus lickometer accurately detects any contact made with the spout of a water bottle. Using the Mouse Feeding monitor we can measure the feeding behavior. With the PhenoWheels respectively running wheels we can measure the activity of the mouse. Furthermore, animals can be monitored for 24 hrs a day in their own homecages being now possible in the new Digital Ventilated Cages (Tecniplast). Here, during both day- & nighttime animal activity (group- & single-housed mice) and also walked distance & velocity, turn, laterality (only single-housed mice) in their own homecages are recorded. Additionally, GYM500 - Activity Wheel (Tecniplast) is also available to measure running activity inside the homecage.
The behavior facility in PRIME also includes two Laser Doppler systems (moorVMS-LDF, Moor Instruments),two Rotarods (IITC Inc), and two Grip Strength Meters (UGO BASILE) besides two Open Fields, two Morris Water Mazes, a Barnes Maze, a Pole Test, Tail Cuff Plethysmography (IITC Inc) and SR-LAB (startle response system).
Applications in PRIME
These Behavior & Cognition Facilities are used at PRIME to:
- study diet effects on cognition during neural development and aging
- cognition and motor activity in aging and neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer
- neurovascular diseases like hypertension and stroke.