prof. dr. Peter Friedl
About Peter FriedlPeter Friedl holds the chair for Microscopical Imaging of the Cell at the RIMLS since October 2007, which includes the Core Facility for Microscopy at the Radboudumc.
Research interest is the visualization of cell-matrix interactions and dynamic cell patterning during immune cell interactions and tumor invasion. We, therefore, use 3D extracellular matrix (ECM) based cell culture models and advanced imaging procedures. Recently, the group moved into in vivo-imaging of tumor and immune cell migration by multiphoton microscopy. This complements in vitro culture technology. These approaches have provided insight into the serial dynamics of T cell scanning across antigen-presenting cells and the diversity of tumor invasion mechanisms, as well as novel escape responses in tumor cell migration. New technology allows imaging deep into tumours (video-interview)
In addition, he fulfills the role of the head of the Cell Dynamics Laboratory and, since 11/2011 has a joint-appointment joint-faculty position as head of the imaging section at the David H. Koch Center, Department of Genitoureteal Oncology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA.
Personal prizes & awards
- 2016: ESMI award
- 2014: Price for the Advancement of Molecular Science from the City of Florence
- 2013: European Research Council - Consolidator Grant
- 2011: Vize-Chair and Chair (2013), Gordon Conference
- 2010: Vici Award, Netherlands' Science Foundation
- 2008: German Cancer Award, German Cancer Society
- 2005: Oscar-Gans Award, German Dermatological Society
- 2004: German Skin Cancer Award
- 2002: Award of the Foundation, 400 Years University of Würzburg
- 2001: Grünenthal Award "Skin and Environment"
- 1997: Hermal Early Career Award
- 1996: Dean's Honour List, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- 1994: Felix-Wankel Animal Protection Award
- Professor, Department of Genitourinary Medical Oncology - Research, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
- Professor, Radboud University Nijmegen, Nijmegen, Netherland