Radboud Institute for Health Sciences Science for care, care for science
Ideally, every procedure in clinical practice and public health should take place based on proof, instead of intuition or 'experience'. Our aim is to innovate and personalize healthcare and public health.read more
Radboud Institute for Health Sciences Science for care, care for scienceThe mission of the Radboud Institute for Health Sciences (RIHS) is to innovate and personalize healthcare and public health by:
- Developing, testing and applying tests, treatments, and policies as well as innovative modes of healthcare delivery.
- Developing new methodology to facilitate health sciences research.
- Training young researchers in the methodology that is needed to be successful in this field.
Research domains and themesGenerally speaking, the biomedical sciences can be broadly stratified into two areas:
- Deterministic research into biological mechanisms; scope of the Radboud Institute for Molecular Life Sciences (RIMLS)
- Probabilistic research that provides frequency-type data (evidence) about such mechanisms (our scope).
In science, there is a clear link between probabilistic and mechanistic research. After all, mechanistic knowledge should always be supported by probabilistic data before policy can be made. Research can be based on theories or principles, policies should not.
On the other hand, probabilistic research should ideally be based on mechanistic knowledge and frequently yields new leads for further mechanistic research. At the Radboudumc, both research domains are connected to each other through a focus of both Research Institutes on disease-oriented research themes.
Societal impactThe starting point for RIHS research is a concrete (bio)medical problem in clinical practice or public health for which a solution is sought. The Radboudumc aims to have a significant impact on healthcare. In line with this mission, our institute tries to bridge the gap between science and society, by, for example, involvement in the development and evaluation of guidelines and protocols. Societal impact is at the core of the Institute's ambition.
EducationThe training of young researchers within the Institute is organized in a KNAW accredited Graduate School. The Institute participates in the Radboudumc Biomedical Sciences MSc program. Further training is provided in a 4-year PhD program. In addition to these programs, RIHS actively participates in the Radboud Postdoc platform and is committed to promoting career track models, such as the Hypatia Tenure Track.
Technological expertiseRIHS hosts some of the Radboudumc Technology Centers, e.g., the Radboud Biobank, Clinical studies, Biostatistics and Data stewardship. These centers offer research facilities for both internal and external researchers.
Contact and getting there
Radboud Institute for Health Sciences
Geert Grooteplein 27
6525 EZ Nijmegen
Postal addressPost 148 RIHS
P.O. Box 9101
6500 HB Nijmegen
ContactT: +31 (0)24 361 46 39
Funding and supportAre you a student or researcher at Radboudumc and do you wish to obtain a grant, national or international, for your research group or as an individual? To help you get started, we offer an overview of some of the available grants including some funded by Radboudumc. see overview
Useful links and information
Radboud Institute for Health Sciences
RIHS participates in research school CaRe, Netherlands School of Primary Care Research
- Currency Exchanger
- Library of Medical Sciences
- Radboud University International Office
- Radboudumc International Office for student
- Radboudumc International Office for PhD candidates
- Student accomodation
- Student life in the Netherlands
- Tourist information - Nijmegen/Arnhem
- Train Schedule
- Webmail Radboudumc
- Notification of the use of personal data to Radboudumc data protection officer
- EU-projectmanagers Radboudumc
Training and Supervision Committee
The RIHS Training and Supervision Plan (TSP) Committee aims to ensure that all RIHS PhD candidates receive appropriate and individualized training and supervision during their appointment.