Mission and tasksOur missions are to develop new research methodology in the field of health sciences, to apply optimal research methodology to Radboudumc’s strategically chosen research themes and to teach this methodology in the graduate and undergraduate programs and consultancy situations, so that the department directly and indirectly contributes to better health and healthcare.
TasksThe Department for Health Evidence has three main tasks: research, education, and consultation. The focus of all three is on research methodology and data analysis, in the context of Radboudumc’s research themes.
Keywords tasks are:
- health technology assessment
- evidence-based surgery
- international health
- multiple testing
- genomic data analyses
- urological cancer
- cancer screening & follow-up
- reproductive epidemiology
- risk assessment
- systematic reviews
Education Health Evidence
With about 80 epidemiologists, biostatisticians, HTA experts, toxicologists and supporting staff we contribute to the Bachelor's and Master's programs in Biomedical Sciences and in Medicine, as well as futher academic training.
Students of Biomedical Sciences and of Medicine are seen as a starting colleagues, and they learn to connect clinical research practice with theory and methods. These principles follow the epidemiological method of determining the frequency of disease in clinical and general populations. The teaching of biostatistics is mainly on descriptive statistics, precision measures and confidence intervals. By means of blended learning and self-directed learning the educational materials are scheduled in the curriculum line Community, Science and Innovation (CSI).
In addition, BMS students broaden and deepen their knowledge and skills in research in the curriculum line ‘Research’. Both student groups work together in scientific and innovation projects during the first two years of the Bachelor's program.
Department for Health Evidence organizes a few minors for the third and final year of the Bachelor's program:
- Biomedical Research Methods
- Clinical Research: principles and practice
- Global Health and Infectious diseases
- Health Technology innovation and assessment
- Translating animal research into clinical benefit
The Master's in is imbedded in three research institutes:
- Radboud Institute for Health Sciences (RIHS)
- Radboud Institute for Molecular Life Sciences (RIMLS)
- Donders Centre for Neurosciences (DCN)
The majority of our educational activities is imbedded in the research institute RIHS. More information will follow in due time.
> Master's in Biomedical Sciences
Our department delivers a two-weeks’ course every month, called CKO-9: Orientation Towards your Research Internship. The aim of the course is to practice all aspects of research in the field of medical sciences, and is specifically applied to the student’s own research internship.
> Master's in Medicine (Dutch)
Consultancy Facilities and services
Our department can support medical researchers with regard to methodological and statistical issues in design, data management and statistical analysis within the context of their studies. The support can range from short-term consultancy to long-term collaboration.read more
Consultancy Facilities and servicesIn a collaborative relationship, the consultant may be involved in all kinds of research aspects, for example the design of a study, the analysis of the policy issue related to the research question, the assessment of sample size, the writing of sections of a protocol, the execution of a cost-effectiveness analysis, the development of data collection forms, data management activities, devising and executing the simple and complex analyses, and the preparation of scientific publications.
QualityThe biostatisticians of our department are registered as Biostatistician VVS (The Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research). They all have a mathematical academic background and long-term experience in various kinds of medical problems to guarantee high-level statistical support, including quality control of data, application of up-to-date statistical methods and collaboration in responsible scientific publications.
The HTA experts of our department, all with a PhD and active member of the NVTAG (Dutch Society for HTA), have a background in biology, economics, psychology, philosophy or biomedical sciences and long-term experience in collaborative HTA projects.
The senior epidemiologists of our department, all with a PhD degree and registered as senior epidemiologists with the VvE (Dutch Society for Epidemiology), have various professional backgrounds (medicine, biomedical sciences, occupational/environmental health, nutrition) and long-term experience in dealing with translating medical problems into epidemiological designs.
Systematic reviews in animal studiesIf you need help with a systematic review of animal studies contact us SYRCLE@radboudumc.nl.
Statistical supportFor researchers at Radboudumc who need statistical support: please fill out the webform for free first statistical support: Intranet > Support > Biostatistics.
Examples of consultancy services
- systematic review in animal studies
- analysis of diagnostic problems
- clinical trials and prognostic factors
- policy analyses
- design and conduct of experiments
- data (safety) monitoring boards
- cost effectiveness analyses
- quality of life measurement
- medical decision analyses
- advanced statistical, mathematical and economical modelling
- GCP, and other (international) guidance documents
- design and analysis of aetiological studies
- analysis of measurement error
- design and analysis of screening studies
- genetic epidemiology
- cluster design and analysis
- simulation studies
- complicated statistical designs and analyses
- time series
- data base design
- training in statistical packages
Research Lab for Molecular Epidemiology Facilities and services
The Research Lab for Molecular Epidemiology has long-standing experience in bio-monitoring of combustion products, medical drugs, industrial chemicals and ingredients of personal care products.read more
Research Lab for Molecular Epidemiology Facilities and servicesThe Research Lab for Molecular Epidemiology has contributed to a considerable number of national and international research projects in the field of occupational and environmental health.
Research highlightsHighlights of research with impact on health improvement and prevention of health effects are:
- Development of exposure surveillance methods for exposure monitoring of cytostatic drugs
- Ensuring safe conditions for astronauts who conduct research in the International Space Station
- Assessment of the uptake and bio-activation of coal tar products in the dermatology clinic
- Uptake of ingredients of personal care products dermal absorption and inhalation
- Supporting good practices in the use of hazardous chemicals in industrial settings
- Development of sustainable alternatives for biocides used for disinfection
- Biomonitoring was introduced in response to chemical incidents and disasters.
ServicesThe laboratory provides the following services:
- Biomonitoring of 120+ chemical substances for health surveillance and emergency response
- Indoor air quality for chemical factors and effects of air purification systems
- Risk assessment related to worker’s and consumer’s health and safety
ContactFor futher information, do not hesitate to contact Paul Scheepers.
The research of this department is part of the Radboud Institute of Health Sciences (RIHS), the Radboud Institute of Molecular Life Sciences and the Donders Institute. Most of our scientists work for RIHS.
Radboud Institute for Health Sciences
Geert Grooteplein 27
6525 EZ Nijmegen
Postal addressRadboud university medical center
Post 133, Department for Health Evidence
P.O. Box 9101
6500 HB Nijmegen