About usWe aim to improve healthcare and public health by developing, applying and teaching methods for prediction and evaluation research.
TasksThe Department for Health Evidence has three main tasks: research, education, and consultation. The focus of all three is on research methodology and data analysis, in the context of Radboudumc’s research themes.
Keyword tasks are:
- health technology assessment
- evidence-based surgery
- international health
- multiple testing
- genomic data analyses
- urological cancer
- cancer screening & follow-up
- reproductive epidemiology
- risk assessment
- systematic reviews
Education Health Evidence
With about 80 epidemiologists, biostatisticians, HTA experts, toxicologists and supporting staff we contribute to the Bachelor's and Master's programs in Biomedical Sciences and in Medicine, as well as to additional and post academic training.
Students of Biomedical Sciences (BMS) and of Medicine are seen as starting colleagues, and they learn to connect research methods theory with clinical research practice. These principles follow the epidemiological method of determining the frequency of disease in clinical and general populations. The teaching of biostatistics is mainly on descriptive statistics, precision measures and confidence intervals. By means of blended learning and self-directed learning the educational materials are scheduled in the curriculum line Community, Science and Innovation (CSI).
In addition, BMS students broaden and deepen their knowledge and skills in research in the curriculum line ‘Research’. Both student groups work together in scientific and innovation projects during the first two years of the Bachelor's program.
The Department for Health Evidence organizes various minors in the third and final year of the Bachelor's program:
- Biomedical Research Methods
- Clinical Research: principles and practice
- Global Health and Infectious diseases
- Health Technology innovation and assessment
- Translating animal research into clinical benefit
- Human embryology in perspective
> Bachelor's in Biomedical Sciences (Dutch)
> Bachelor's in Medicine (Dutch)
Master students Biomedical Sciences can choose from one of eight specialisations, and combine that with a career profile. The research institutes are the learning environment, and a specialisation coordinator will help to design a study program and will act as coach during the master.
Our department hosts two specialisations (Health Technology Assessment and Epidemiology). In addition, our department is responsible for two profiles ‘consultation’ and ‘communication’ and contributes to career profiles.
Since the academic year 2017-2018, more than 70 master courses have been developed, which form the basis of the master BMS curriculum. Our department contributes approximately in one third of these courses.
Master students BMS can also specialise in epidemiology and obtain a formal registration as epidemiologist A (by the Dutch Epidemiology Society). It is also possible to specialise in Health Technology Assessment (without a formal registration).
Our department delivers a two-weeks’ course every month, called CKO-9: Orientation Towards your Research Internship. The aim of the course is to practice all aspects of research in the field of medical sciences, and is specifically applied to the student’s own research internship.
> Master's in Medicine (in Dutch)
Our department organizes the course series 'Applied Medical Research', which comprises two annual courses:
- Radboud Summer School: Molecules, Mice and Math: A Statistical Toolbox for the Lab
- Introduction in using R
- Meer Kennis met Minder Dieren - 'Workshop systematisch literatuur onderzoek'
- A free and onlien e-learning module on systematics reviews of animal studies (use registration code: syrcle)
- EQIPD summer school
Consultancy Facilities and services
Our department can support medical researchers with regard to methodological and statistical issues in design, data management and statistical analysis within the context of their studies. The support can range from short-term consultancy to long-term collaboration.read more
Research Lab for Molecular Epidemiology Facilities and services
The Research Lab for Molecular Epidemiology has long-standing experience in bio-monitoring of combustion products, medical drugs, industrial chemicals and ingredients of personal care products.read more
Research Lab for Molecular Epidemiology Facilities and servicesThe Research Lab for Molecular Epidemiology has contributed to a considerable number of national and international research projects in the field of occupational and environmental health.
Research highlightsHighlights of research with impact on health improvement and prevention of health effects are:
- Development of exposure surveillance methods for exposure monitoring of cytostatic drugs
- Ensuring safe conditions for astronauts who conduct research in the International Space Station
- Assessment of the uptake and bio-activation of coal tar products in the dermatology clinic
- Uptake of ingredients of personal care products dermal absorption and inhalation
- Supporting good practices in the use of hazardous chemicals in industrial settings
- Development of sustainable alternatives for biocides used for disinfection
- Biomonitoring was introduced in response to chemical incidents and disasters.
ServicesThe laboratory provides the following services:
- Biomonitoring of 120+ chemical substances for health surveillance and emergency response
- Indoor air quality for chemical factors and effects of air purification systems
- Risk assessment related to worker’s and consumer’s health and safety
ContactFor futher information, do not hesitate to contact Paul Scheepers.
Radboud Institute for Health Sciences
Geert Grooteplein 27
6525 EZ Nijmegen
Postal addressRadboud university medical center
Post 133, Department for Health Evidence
P.O. Box 9101
6500 HB Nijmegen
Telephone+31 (0)24 361 91 32
SYstematic Review Center for Laboratory animal Experimentation SYRCLE
SYRCLE envisions a world in which any animal-based research conducted is justified, rigorous and of high translational value. Our mission is to develop, apply and disseminate the methodology of systematic reviews of animal studies to advance responsible animal-based research.read more