Electron Microscopy Center
The Electron Microscopy (EM) Center was founded in 2019 by Dr Anat Akiva and prof Nico Sommerdijk to support users in the application of electron microscopy, both using standard techniques as well as the most advanced imaging and analysis strategies.
Our special focus areas are 3D volume imaging, correlative light and electron microscopy, and cryo-electron microscopy, in which we work to push the techniques and methodology beyond the state-of-the-art . Through a recently awarded NWO-Groot project we now also serve as a National Facility for liquid phase EM of biological materials (BIOMATEM).
Our imaging services
For contact regarding these services, please send an email.
- Scanning electron microscopy (+ EDX elemental mapping)
- Cryogenic scanning electron microscopy (vitrified samples)
- Room temperature transmission electron microscopy (+ EDX elemental mapping)
- Cryogenic transmission electron microscopy (vitrified samples)
- Liquid Phase Transmission Electron Microscopy
- 3D array tomography (serial sectioning) (embedded samples)
- 3D FIB/SEM volume imaging (embedded samples)
- Cryogenic 3D FIB/SEM volume imaging (vitrified samples)
- Room temperature correlative electron microscopy (embedded samples)
- Cryogenic correlative electron microscopy (vitrified samples)
- FIB lamella preparation and lift-out for (cryo)TEM
- Raman microspectroscopy (2D/3D)
News, events and publications
New state-of-the-art transmission electron microscope (TEM) at Radboudumcinstalled and in operation10 July 2023
Large AI project receives over €95 million for ten years of public-private research23 September 2021
New start-up Patholyt will bring AI research into pathology diagnostics21 September 2021
van der Meijden, Robin HM, et al. "A 3D Cell‐Free Bone Model Shows Collagen Mineralization is Driven and Controlled by the Matrix." Advanced Functional Materials (2023): 2212339. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adfm.202212339
de Beer, Marit, et al. "Precise targeting for 3D cryo-correlative light and electron microscopy volume imaging of tissues using a FinderTOP." Communications Biology 6.1 (2023): 510. https://www.nature.com/articles/s42003-023-04887-y
Carotti, Valentina, et al. "Extracellular vesicles contribute to early cyst development in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease by cell‐to‐cell communication." The FASEB Journal 37.7 (2023): e23006. https://faseb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1096/fj.202300490R
Bulthuis, Elianne P., et al. "Stress‐dependent macromolecular crowding in the mitochondrial matrix." The EMBO Journal 42.7 (2023): e108533. https://www.embopress.org/doi/full/10.15252/embj.2021108533
Konijnenberg, Lara SF, et al. "Imatinib attenuates reperfusion injury in a rat model of acute myocardial infarction." Basic Research in Cardiology 118.1 (2023): 2. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00395-022-00974-z
- Kapteijn, Renée, et al. "Endocytosis-like DNA uptake by cell wall-deficient bacteria." Nature Communications 13.1 (2022): 5524. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-33054-w
- Jansen, Jitske, et al. "Human pluripotent stem cell-derived kidney organoids for personalized congenital and idiopathic nephrotic syndrome modeling." Development 149.9 (2022): dev200198. https://journals.biologists.com/dev/article/149/9/dev200198/275303/Human-pluripotent-stem-cell-derived-kidney
- Jansen, Jitske, et al. "SARS-CoV-2 infects the human kidney and drives fibrosis in kidney organoids." Cell stem cell 29.2 (2022): 217-231. https://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/pdf/S1934-5909(21)00520-8.pdf
- de Wildt, Bregje WM, et al. "Bioinspired Silk Fibroin Mineralization for Advanced In Vitro Bone Remodeling Models." Advanced Functional Materials 32.41 (2022): 2206992 https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/adfm.202206992
- Carotti, Valentina, et al. "Involvement of ceramide biosynthesis in increased extracellular vesicle release in Pkd1 knock out cells." Frontiers in Endocrinology 13 (2022): 1005639. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fendo.2022.1005639/full
- Visualizing biological tissues: A multiscale workflow from live imaging to 3D Cryo-CLEM (Beer et al., 2021)
- HPM live MU for a full CLEM workflow (Heiligenstein et al., 2021)
- Composition and stage dynamics of mitochondrial complexes (Evers et al., 2021)
Examples figures from our papers
Correlation of FIB/SEM with light microscopy in 3D showing mitochondria (in purple) within cells of a zebrafish scale, under cryo conditions.
Link to the paper: www.nature.com/articles/s42003-023-04887-y
A cryoFIB/SEM image and subsequent 3D reconstruction of a bacteria reveal both intracellular and protruding out vesicles.
Link to the paper: www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-33054-w