Funding to stimulate talents
The Radboudumc Hypatia Fellowship Grants aim to promote innovation in academic research by giving young, creative and talented researchers the opportunity to further their own research within the context of our three research institutes and within the strategic areas of Radboudumc. The preferential strategic areas are: Artificial Intelligence for Health, Biomedical diagnostics and therapies, Innovative and value-driven patient care and Prevention. These unique and highly sought research positions offer a special opportunity to establish an independent research group in a specific topic. By obtaining a Hypatia Fellowship Grant, candidates will also be offered the possibility to take part in the Hypatia Track, a talent program for excellent researchers who are ready to develop themselves as leaders within their academic fields.
With the Hypatia Fellowship Grants we intend to recruit talent from outside Radboudumc. In this respect candidates should not have had an employment relationship with Radboud University or Radboudumc in the last 3 years.
With the Hypatia Tenure Track Grant, Radboudumc can offer you the following:
- An independent researcher position with a salary conform the collective appointment agreement of the Dutch University Medical Centers.
- Excellent prospects for tenure track (i.e. faculty position with permanent contract).
- An internationally recognized competitive research environment with ample opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration and participation in.
- A 4 (or 5) -year contract.
- 1M euros
- Automatic enrollment in Hypatia learning group and possibilities for the enrolment in program for personal and professional leadership development.
- Automatic grand support by Grant Support Office.
We are looking for creative and talented (clinical) researchers who have:
- A background in computational science, neuroscience, (molecule) life sciences, health sciences or public health research fitting the strategic areas of the Radboudumc.
- High affinity for applied research in the Radboudumc research themes.
- Excellent researchers (guideline 3-8 years after PhD graduation) with a strong motivation to perform top internationally-recognized research. Extension of the 8 years is possible based on the NWO extension rule (question 25).
- Candidates should (i) have a proven track record in acquiring a significant (personal) grant or other prestigious funding and (ii) should be judged by the Talent Track Committee to be able to do so within the term of the Hypatia track to create a viable research group.
- Candidates must have demonstrated their success and having a strategy in creating impact: scientific (via publication as first or senior author), societal or economic.
- Preferentially, candidates have international experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the strong wish to work interdisciplinary.
- Good leadership skills with an ability to inspire young researchers.
- Candidates have potential to become a Radboudumc research group leader within the period of her/his.
- The full overview of the Radboudumc Talent track criteria, which are leading during the evaluation procedure can be found here, Hypatia level is highlighted.
Every year, there are three Hypathia Fellowships available. The procedure consists of two stages:
- Nomination & application: Candidates must submit the nomination (by the hosting department) and application (including CV and Proposal outline) using the provided forms (Form A- nomination & Form B- application, which includes past research performance and research proposal outline). Research proposals should fall within the strategic research areas of Radboudumc.
- Within 4-6 weeks after the submission deadline, candidates will be informed if they proceed to stage 2. The follow up Form C (including the Personal preview & development plan (PPDP)) will be provided at this stage.
- Form C (PPDP), full research proposal, seminar and interview: Candidates will then be requested to submit a full research proposal along with Form C. Thereafter they will be invited to give a seminar and will be interviewed by Talent track Committee. The final decision is expected approximately 4 weeks after the interview.
- A decision will be made on the basis of the seminar, interviews with group leaders and peer-reviewed research proposal.
Deadlines application for 2022
Applications will be evaluated by the Radboudumc Talent track committee. The next application deadline is:
- 16 November 2022, 23:59
Frequently Asked Questions about the Hypatia Fellowship Grants
On average successful applications, from submission to final decision, take 6 months. Within 4-6 weeks after the first round submission deadline, you will be informed of the committee’s decision for a second round invitation.
Currently there are three positions per year. Quality of applications and fit with Radboudumc research strategy are paramount. The committee is not obliged to award positions in each round nor is the committee obliged to fill all three positions in any given year.
For all successful Hypatia candidates, embedding within one of the Radboudumc departments is paramount. The department is your employer and therefore the support by means of nomination (Form A) is crucial.
Should you be invited to submit an application in the second round, then you will be asked to write a full project proposal and Personal Preview and Development Plan (Form C); both will be provided with invitation. You will also be invited for an interview with members of the Talent Track Committee and be requested to give a plenary lecture.
Should you be invited to submit an application in the second round, then you will be asked to write a full project proposal. The project proposal will be reviewed by minimally 2 external independent reviewers. You will also be invited for an interview with various group leaders, members of the Hypatia committee and a previous Hypatia fellow awardee. You will also be requested to give a plenary lecture.
The Hypatia Tenure Track grant covers the awardee’s salary for 4 (or 5; depending on your preferences) years, salary and bench fee of PhD candidate(s)/ Postdoc(s), materials, overheads and Hypatia development track costs. The total award is 1M euro for four years (maximum 250 k per year). Every year, there are three awards available.
At the start of your Hypatia track, you would probably have little teaching. Ultimately, this is dependent on the head of your department. Often teaching is paid and thus can have (financial) benefits.
Your line manager is either a senior research group leader in the hiring department or the head of hiring department him/herself. The Hypatia track allows to develop towards the independent research group leader.
To be successful in the Netherlands, you will have to secure other grants from other funding sources. Hypatia fellow awardees should aim, for example, to obtain a NWO Vidi and/or ERC starting/consolidator grant or bigger consortia grants to further proceed with their career. Additional personal grants are required, as a condition of tenure.
Hypatia track candidates will be assessed by the Talent Track committee after 2 and 4,5 years from their start-date. Candidates growth as an independent researcher since the start of the grant is assessed.
The typical Hypatia fellow starts at the level of Assistent professor and will develop towards Associate professor within the period of the Hypatia track.
There are internal grant rounds for PhD positions and for Master’s students. There are also grant possibilities from the Radboud University for example for mobility. As a Hypatia fellow you will receive the support from Grant support office to secure external grants for your group.
No, by leaving the Radboudumc you would forfeit the remainder of your grant.