Women's cancers About themeThe women’s cancer research theme is dedicated to the treatment of malignancies that specifically occur in women, such as breast cancer, ovarian cancer, cervical cancer, endometrial cancer and vulvar cancer. Our ultimate goal is to improve patient-centered quality of care in partnership with patients and relatives involved. We aim to improve care in the broad spectrum of prevention, early diagnosis, treatment and post-treatment follow-up.
To develop better management strategies for every individual tumor type, we need a better understanding of carcinogenesis and tumor development with special attention for hereditary causes and preservation of fertility. Findings from basic research will be translated into clinical applications at a diagnostic and treatment level within the general concept of personalized healthcare.
- We will study the oncogenesis of the various women’s cancers.
- We will improve screening strategies for the national screening program for breast and cervical cancer.
- We will optimize treatment strategies for women’s cancers.
- We will optimize diagnostic tools and introduce new tools for the detection of women’s cancers.
- We will develop and improve management strategies for hereditary cancers.
- We will introduce new immunotherapeutic treatment modalities in ovarian cancer.
- We will develop new fertility-sparing techniques to support the management of various malignancies.
- We will study patients’ distress levels and develop management strategies to improve quality of life.
News and agenda
Centers of clinical expertise
Information might be only available in Dutch.