Funding to stimulate talents
This grant aims to promote innovation in academic research by giving young, creative and talented researchers the opportunity to further their own research within the context of our three research institutes. These positions offer a special opportunity to establish an independent research group.read more
Funding to stimulate talentsThe Radboudumc Hypatia Tenure Track Grants aim to promote innovation in academic research by giving young, creative and talented researchers the opportunity to further their own research within the context of our three research institutes. These unique and highly sought after research positions offer a special opportunity to establish an independent research group. By obtaining a Hypatia Tenure Track Grant, candidates will also be offered the possibility to take part in the Hypatia Track, a talent program for excellent researchers who are ready to develop themselves as leaders within their academic fields. After the term of the fellowship and subject to the candidate fulfilling our Principal Investigator criteria, the candidate will be offered a permanent contract.
With the Hypatia Tenure Track Grants we intend to recruit talent from outside Radboudumc. In this respect candidates should not have had an employment relationship with Radboud University or Radboudumc in the last 3 years.
On offerWith the Hypatia Tenure Track Grant, Radboudumc can offer you the following:
- An independent researcher position with a salary conform the collective appointment agreement of the Dutch University Medical Centers.
- Excellent prospects for tenure track (i.e. faculty position with permanent contract).
- An internationally recognized competitive research environment with ample opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration and participation in
- A 4-year contract.
- Financial rewards for meeting excellent research criteria.
Candidate criteriaWe are looking for creative and talented (clinical) researchers who have:
- A background in computational science, neuroscience, (molecule) life sciences, health sciences or public health research.
- High affinity for applied research in on of the Radboudumc research themes.
- Excellent researchers (guideline 3-8 years after PhD graduation) with a strong motivation to perform top internationally-recognized research. Extension of the 8 years is possible based on the NWO extension rule (question 25).
- A proven track record in funding and publications. Candidates should haven either:
(i) acquired an NWO Vidi, ERC Starting/Consolidator grant or other prestigious personal funding
(ii) should be judged by the Hypatia Committee to be able to do so within the term of the Hypatia track.
- Candidates must have demonstrated their success in high impact publication as first or senior author. Preferentially, candidates have international experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the strong wish to work interdisciplinary.
- Good leadership skills with an ability to inspire young researchers.
Application procedureEvery year, there are three grants available. The procedure consists of two stages:
- CV and Proposal outline: Candidates must submit their CV, which includes past research performance and research proposal outline. Research proposals should fall within the research profile of one of the three affiliated research institutes.
Within 4 weeks after the submission deadline, candidates will be informed if they go to stage 2.
- Full proposal, seminar and interview: Candidates will then be requested to submit a full research propels that will be sent to external referees. Thereafter they will be invited to give a seminar and will be interviewed by group leaders.
A decision will be made on the basis of the seminar, interviews with group leaders and peer-reviewed research proposal.
Deadlines application for 2020
Applications will be evaluated three times a year by the Radboudumc Talent Board. The application deadlines are:
- Sunday 26 January 2020, 23:59
- Sunday 31 May 2020, 23:59
- Sunday 27 September 2020, 23:59
Application formThe application form will be provided upon request. For more information please contact Dagmar Eleveld-Trancikova.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Hypatia Tenure Track grants
On average successful applications, from submission to final decision, take 6 months. Within 2-3 weeks after the first round submission deadline, you will be informed of the committee’s decision for a second round invitation.
Currently there are three positions per year. Quality of applications and fit with Radboudumc research strategy are paramount. The committee is not obliged to award positions in each round nor is the committee obliged to fill all three positions in any given year.
For all successful Hypatia candidates, embedding within one of the Radboudumc departments is paramount. The department is your employer and will ultimately decide on whether to award you with tenure at the end of the grant period.
A Head of Department will need to support your application. You do not need this support during the first round – it is not a selection criteria – although it will help in the application process. Before inviting you to submit a second round proposal, the Hypatia committee will request support from a suitable hosting Head of Department. Before submitting your first round application, you may wish to contact one or more Heads of Departments to discuss your potential fit within the department’s research strategy and more generally within the strategic research themes of the Radboudumc. The secretary to the Hypatia committee can help steer you in the right direction.
Should you be invited to submit an application in the second round, then you will be asked to write a full project proposal. The project proposal will be reviewed by minimally 2 external independent reviewers. You will also be invited for an interview with various group leaders, members of the Hypatia committee and a previous Hypatia fellow awardee. You will also be requested to give a plenary lecture.
The Hypatia Tenure Track grant covers the awardee’s salary for 4 years, salary and bench fee of PhD candidate(s)/ Postdoc(s), materials and overheads. The total award is 1 M Euro for four years (250 k per year). Every year, there are three awards available.
At the start of your Hypatia track, you would probably have little teaching. Ultimately, this is dependent on the head of your department. Often teaching is paid and thus can have (financial) benefits.
Your line manager is either a senior research group leader in the hiring department or the head of hiring department him/herself.
To be successful in the Netherlands, you will have to secure other grants from other funding sources. Hypatia fellow awardees should aim, for example, to obtain a NWO Vidi and/or ERC starting/consolidator grant to further proceed with their career. Additional personal grants are required, as a condition of tenure.
Hypatia track candidates will be informally assessed by the Hypatia committee after two and five years from their start-date. Candidates are requested to submit their CV to the committee. Candidates growth as an independent researcher since the start of the grant is assessed. The department will formally assess the Hypatia candidate in respect of tenure track conditions.
The Radboudumc stipulates that you should reach the criteria of senior principal investigator (PI). The PI criteria consist of qualitative elements regarding leadership, scientific esteem, social impact, etc. The quantitative criteria state in the last five years prior to the evaluation moment, you should have:
a) A minimum of six peer reviewed publications:
- With a 5-Year Impact Factor ≥8 or in one of the 5 best journals in a subject category (ranked by 5-years IF).
- At least two of the six papers have a 5-Year Impact Factor ≥8.
- Only publications where you are first, second, penultimate or last author qualify.
- In a minimum of three of these six peer reviewed publications, you are first or last author.
NOTE 1: Hypatia fellows are exempted from the regulation regarding number of PhD defenses.
b) Personally obtained funding
- A minimum of two personally, in competition obtained research grants (2nd or 3rd “geldstroom”) of at least € 200,000 that are, or will be, used for scientific research.
NOTE 2: In case of multi-applicant grants, the full amount of the grant can be attributed to each of the applicant research leaders.
NOTE 3: The Hypatia grant, although formally 1st “geldstroom’ counts as one of the two necessary personal grants.
The full details are available on request. Please contact the secretary of the Hypatia committee.
This is a matter for the Head of Department and should be discussed with him/her.
By obtaining junior or senior PI, you would have part of your salary funded from the Radboudumc. There are internal grant rounds for PhD positions and for Master’s students. There are also grant possibilities from the Radboud University for example for mobility.
No, by leaving the Radboudumc you would forfeit the remainder of your grant.
Experience of the participants
Want to find out what our talent programs are all about from people who have experienced it? The following people do not mind you contacting them.