About us Department of AnesthesiologyThis department does (clinical) research that contribute to the understanding of the disciplines anesthesiology, pain and palliative medicine.
AnesthesiologyAnesthesiology is a medical specialization that provides medical care to patients in a wide variety of often acute situations. This includes:
- Delivering anesthesia during surgical procedures
- Caring for critically ill patients in an Intensive Care Unit (ICU) or Post Anesthesia Recovery Unit (PACU)
- Managing medical emergencies such as cardiac arrests and in trauma care. Anesthesiologistst work either in-hospital or in the public domain, termed 'pre-hospital medicine, in so-called Mobile Medical Teams.
Anesthesiologists are responsible for ensuring the delivery of anesthesia safely to patients in virtually all health care settings, including all major medical tertiary care facilities. This includes:
- preoperative evaluation
- consultation with the surgical team
- creating a plan for the anesthesia tailored to each individual patient
- airway management
- intraoperative life support and provision of pain control
- intraoperative diagnostic stabilization
- proper post-operative management of all patients.
Our department also provides care for patients with acute and chronic pain conditions and is involved in palliative care. The department is a strong advocate for a so-called multidisciplinary approach of these often very complicated patients.