Animal studies Expertise and servicesThe Animal Research Facility (in Dutch: Centraal Dierenlaboratorium, CDL) offers advice and support from planning up to and including the conduct of animal research on behalf of biomedical research and education.
Areas of expertise
- Well trained and competent personnel can assist you with various technical activities varying from injections of compounds by all recognized routes and collection of tissue for further analysis up to complex surgical procedures.
- We can offer the necessary basic infrastructure for surgical research. Fully equipped operating theatres, radiology room and area for sterilization of instruments are available for academic research and industry.
- We can offer the facilities for surgical product testing and evaluation and for demonstrations and instructional courses for instance for training of hospital staff.
- Preclinical Imaging Centre (PRIME)
- Translational Neuroscience Unit
- Support on experimental design
- Guidance on the application at the Animal Ethics Committee and CCD
- Support on the preparation of study plans
- Supply of most common laboratory animals and animal products
- Anesthesia support for small and large animals
- Rodent surgery including microsurgery
- Large animal surgery
- Postoperative animal care
- Drug administration
- Blood/sample collection
- Assistance in demonstrations and training courses
- Farm for housing large laboratory animals
- Unit for breeding unique genetically modified rodent strains
- SPF (Specific Pathogen Free) unit for rodents. SPF-housing for large animals is also possible.
- Isolator-unit: gnotobiology for small and large animals
- Malaria-unit: mosquito culture
- Safety units for radioactive and toxic agents
iVentionLESiVentionLES is the laboratory execution system (LES) for animal experimentation used at Radboudumc and Radboud University. The system supports the entire cycle of a research project: from the research question involving animal experiments to the implementation of these experiments and the registration of the research results. In addition, financial data, invoicing information and management data is generated as output.
iVentionLES is a modular system. Each module is released separately.
AuthorizationEvery researcher registered at the Animal Welfare Body of the Radboudumc can get access to iVentionLES. Please send the request for an account to the helpdesk of the Radboud Animal Research Facility (in Dutch: Centrale Dierenlab).
Log in> go to log in IVentionLES
T: +31 (0)24 361 35 00
Dorien van de Pol: +31 (0)24 361 93 80
Christien Frederiks: +31 (0)24 36 13500
Animal Welfare BodyThe Animal Welfare Body (AWB) (Instantie voor Dierenwelzijn IvD) helps to ensure a responsible animal experimentation policy within Radboud University and Radboudumc. The AWB acts on behalf of the Radboud University to oversee legal supervision of the performance of animal experiments and the welfare of laboratory animals, in accordance with the Animal Experimentation Act.
Organizationally, the AWB falls under the Animal Research Facility (CDL). The AWB is composed of animal welfare officers, bio-technicians, and one or more scientists. If necessary, the group is supplemented by a veterinarian, statistician, or other specialists.
Pieter Verbost (Mo., Tu. & We.): +31 (0)24 309 23 69
Roel Sneepers (Th. & Fr.): +31 (0)24 309 23 68
Miriam Kool (Mo., Tu. & Th.): +31 (0)24 309 23 64
Animal Experiment Committee DECRadboud University’s Animal Experiment Committee (DierExperimentenCommissie, RUDEC) is a university committee recognized by the Dutch Minister of Health, Welfare and Sport. DEC determines whether the scientific and/or social significance of an animal experiment outweighs the discomfort that the affected animals will encounter. This (ethical) assessment is carried out according to the legal regulations as stipulated in the Wet op de dierproeven (WOD) and in the Dierproevenbesluit.
In addition, DEC issues policy advice to the Board of Directors of Radboud University as licensee of the possibilities of Replacement (alternative options), Reduction of the number of laboratory animals and Refinement (reducing the discomforts for laboratory animals).
DEC consists of experts in animal experiments, alternatives for animal experiments, laboratory animals and their protection, and ethics.
ContactDEC is available through Helpdesk CDL:
Phone: +31 (0)24 361 35 00
SYstematic Review Center for Laboratory animal Experimentation SYRCLE
SYRCLE envisions a world in which any animal-based research conducted is justified, rigorous and of high translational value. Our mission is to develop, apply and disseminate the methodology of systematic reviews of animal studies to advance responsible animal-based research.read more
Teams and contact information
Animal Research Facility has four teams.
email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com