Catalogue Radboud BiobankTo increase visibility and accessibility the Radboud Biobank uses the BBMRI-NL (Biobanking and BioMolecular resources Research Infrastructure) to store details on individual biobank collections. Using the search term “Radboud”, you are able to find relevant sample collections. go to catalogue
Expertise and services
Key benefits for customer
- Easy access to biomaterial of well documented patients
- Standards apply from The Parelsnoer Institute (PSI), a unique collaboration of all Dutch University Hospitals on clinical biobanking
Areas of expertise
- Help in realizing biobank projects
- Quality assurance at all levels (e.g. storage of clinical data, biomaterials, ICT, ELSI, logistics and procedures for delivery)
- Standardization and harmonization of the biomaterials
- Delivers high quality samples (DNA, serum, plasma, urine, tissue) of well documented patients to investigators worldwide with a sound research proposal
- Supports investigators in preparing a request, obtaining ethical approval and formulating formal agreements, plus delivery and transport of samples
5 years of sustainable biobanking
Patients an integral role
Without the trust and participation of patients, it is impossible to establish a good collection. The patient provides personal information and biomaterial. With this donation, she/he contributes to the biobank, which makes new scientific research possible about the condition with which the patient is diagnosed. Although this knowledge may come too late to help this individual patient, her/his donation contributes to the development of diagnostics, new successful treatments, better prognosis and more effective prevention strategies for others in the near future.
About the Radboud Biobank and patients
The patient has a permanent voice
The patient receives a permanent, authoritative voice in the Radboud Biobank. The chairperson of the Advisory Council, a prominent role on the council, has been reserved for a patient representative. Moreover, disease-specific foundations and societies continued to be involved in departmental research to provide a non-academic perspective. There are also plans for an internet portal for donors to the Radboud Biobank and a patient representative is also a member of in the medical-ethical review board (CMO).
Click here for more information for patients (in Dutch).
Frequently Asked Questions
Radboud Biobank FAQs
Obtaining samples: all costs are covered by the department
Radboud Biobank: all costs listed below are covered by the Radboud Biobank
General costs: Supervision of collection process, organization and maintenance of IT services, accountability (general, ethical and financial), quality assurance; Logistics: Tubs selection, write and maintain SOPs for handling of monsters,
isolation of DNA/RNA, tissue embedding;
Preparation: Isolation of DNA/RNA and cells, division into aliquots, tissue selection and embedding, organizing purchase or sharing of apparatus and maintenance thereof Storage: Purchase of freezers, boxes and tubes including back-up
services, monitoring system, calibration, printers, stickers,
rent of location and energy costs.
In the long term an automated storage system;
Maintenance: Maintaining storage system, defrosting freezers; Registration: Purchasing biobank management system; Issuance: procedure for withdrawal of informed consent;
Each project using samples from the biobank has to be approved by the CMO-light. In general the CMO-light review takes 2 – 3 weeks.
To prevent biomaterial and data being delivered to those wishing to use it for other purposes than relevant and well-grounded research the following conditions apply:
- The application should be made by (or together with) a researcher employed by the Radboudumc from the department that initiated the sub-biobank (Radboudumc colleague cosigns the application and transfer agreement(s) and is responsible for compliance to the contractual provisions);
- The CMO-light reviews each application on quality and ethical-legal aspects;
- The head of the sub-biobank is in agreement with the issuance.
The collected biomaterial and data maintain their value for future research and shall be stored and kept indefinitely.
Radboud Biobank and the CMO-light are open to all forms of collaboration with external partners. This is also valid for collaboration between commercial partners and Radboudumc researchers as long as it serves medical-scientific development and innovation. Biomaterial from the Radboud Biobank is issued to external partners under the conditions of a standard Material Transfer Agreement. Biomaterial from the Radboud Biobank will not be used for the production of commercial products.
In the media
- Uitzending TV Gelderland: Trots op Gelderland; Los in het lab (23 mei 2017)
- Ijskoude bank is schatkist voor nieuwe kennis (Radboud 6, 2015)
- The donor as partner / De donor als partner (BBMRI-NL, 2014)
- Interview Labvision (mei 2014)
- Radboud Biobank Geeft Schaalvoordelen (Radbode 1, 20 januari 2012)
- Hub: Radboud Biobank (Hub 4, 2011)
- Patiënten kennen eigen power niet (Radboud 13, 2 september 2011)
Useful links and information