Research Research themes Cancer development and immune defense
Cancer development and immune defense About themeIt is our ambition to be a leading center of expertise regarding the pathogenic mechanisms and development of targeted (immune)therapy in cancer. read more
Cancer development and immune defense About themeIt is our ambition to be a leading center of expertise regarding the pathogenic mechanisms and development of targeted (immune)therapy in cancer.
One third of the general population develops cancer sometime during life. Annually, more than 110,000 people in the Netherlands are being diagnosed with cancer. For patients with a localized tumor, the prospects are relatively good if effective surgery and/or irradiation treatment can be applied. Still, about 36% of patients die from their disease within five years. Once disseminated, regular cancer treatments like chemotherapy and irradiation are limited by toxicity on vital normal tissues and the development of personalized, targeted therapies are warranted. In order to improve treatment efficacy and reduce toxicity, new tumor-specific treatment modalities need to be developed, with a specific focus on the eradication of residual disease that may give rise to relapse. We aim to reach this goal by gaining more insight into the immunological, molecular, and (epi)genetic processes that are involved in tumor development, outgrowth, immune control, and therapy response.
- We aim to identify all genetic ‘driver’ lesions that underlie the pathogenesis of cancer.
- We study epigenetic mechanisms implicated in aberrant gene expression in cancer.
- We study immune cell and cancer cell trafficking.
- We investigate to what extent the immune system is capable of recognizing tumor cells.
- We study mechanisms to stimulate specific anti-tumor immune responses.
- We will perform clinical trials to test compounds that specifically target the molecular pathways that are disturbed.
- We will perform clinical trials in which manipulated immune cells are used to eradicate cancer cells.
- We direct prospective, population-based cancer registries to analyze prognosis, therapy response, quality of life and economic aspects.
Lines of research
Treatment directed against molecular defectsThis research line has a main focus to identify and manipulate defects of disturbed transcriptional and epigenetic mechanisms that result in the abnormal cellular behavior of tumor cells. read more
Treatment using the immune systemThis research line focused on understanding tumor immunology, developing immune cells , ex vivo activation, and expansion of immune cells and conducting clinical trials. read more
News, events, impact and organization
Answers in Dutch
Information on our research can also be found in Dutch on the Nationale Wetenschapsagenda website. The information here answers questions asked by Dutch citizens.visit website
- Prevention of cancer development in patients with lynch syndrome
- blueprint a blueprint of hematopoietic epigenomes
- MDS RIGHT: the RIGHT care to the RIGHT patient with MDS
- Thousand-fold ex vivo expansion of NK cells from cord blood for clinical application
- In vivo imaging of migrating tumor cells
- Chemical immunology
- Acceptance of DC vaccination for insurance coverage
Researchers Cancer development and immune defense
See the researchers related to this theme.read more