Research Research themes Metabolic disorders Psychological aspects of mitochondrial disorders
- Psychological aspects of mitochondrial disorders only scarcely receive attention in scientific research despite the profound impact of these diseases on different levels of functioning. The heredity of the disease easily results in uncertainty regarding one’s own health and transfer to the children. Also, the side effect of fatigue is related to impaired societal and social participation. In addition, mental health is frequently affected, as well as attention span and concentration. Our researchers in theme focus on:
- Describing psychological impact of mitochondrial disease in terms of quality of life, mental health, neurocognitive functioning, and social and societal participation.
- Investigating mechanisms explaining this impact on (psychological) health.
- Developing interventions to support patient in coping with disease and impact on daily life.
- Selecting psychological outcome measures sensitive for change in clinical medication trials.