Research Research themes Neurodevelopmental disorders
Neurodevelopmental disorders About themeWe aim to improve our understanding of the causes and mechanisms underlying intellectual disability, autism and ADHD, seeking to improve the care for our patients by developing better diagnostics and better personalized treatment strategies. read more
Neurodevelopmental disorders About themeNeurodevelopmental disorders, especially intellectual disability, autism and Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are major causes of lifelong, chronic impairment. The etiology of these disorders is complex and barely understood. No effective treatments are available for autism and intellectual disability, and none of the neurodevelopmental disorders can yet be cured. We aim to improve our understanding of the causes and mechanisms underlying these disorders, seeking to improve the care for our patients by developing better diagnostics and better personalized treatment strategies.
- We will identify the genetic and environmental risk factors and their interplay contributing to neurodevelopmental disorders, by leading and contributing to international collaborations.
- We will use computational modeling and bioinformatics to predict aberrant biological processes in the neurodevelopmental disorders.
- We will develop cell and animal model systems for the disorders and study them to understand the mechanisms leading from gene to disease phenotype and to test novel treatment options.
- We will identify the neural correlates of neurodevelopmental disorders through neuro-imaging-based research.
- By integrating findings at genetic, genomic and brain levels, we will identify biomarkers for diagnosis and prognosis of neurodevelopmental disorders and integrate this knowledge into clinical care.
- We will contribute to the development of more biologically-oriented diagnostic (sub)groups of neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Highly interdisciplinary research from molecule to man and population will help us to develop improved and personalized (non-)pharmacological treatments for neurodevelopmental disorders.
News, events, impact and organization
Plasticity and Memory Theme Donders
The Neurodevelopmental disorders theme is closely integrated with the Donders Institute's theme Memory and Plasticity.visit website